Wotamalo District 2014 just went to [junk]...

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wotamalo District 2014 just went to [junk]...

Post by TXDerbyDad »

psycaz wrote:Usually this kind if change reflects a couple of possibilities. One is that they are concerned about a noticable drop in registrations and fear they aren't going to have a large enough turnout to cover costs.

Second, on top of the first, there may be some thought that the scouts who didn't do well in their respective packs may have learned what went wrong and are able to fix it.

There is almost always a ton of time left in cars due to wheel and axle prep. Car could have been damaged part way through the race, the typical stuff.

Our races district races are now open to all, it's council level that's restricted. I'm ok with that. Your not taking spots from the boys who did well in their packs, you're giving those who didn't a chance to improve and try again.
That is my feelings as well. Our District Derby is open to all Cub Scouts, and they pay a $5 fee to cover trophies. Last year we had more boys in our Pack Derby than the district derby, and we've done our best to get the word out.
gman247
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Wotamalo District 2014 just went to [junk]...

Post by gman247 »

Ok.. Here's the current email. Apparently we were all "confused" at the original email sent out.. I'm not even going to comment on that (you can read the original email I quoted at the top of this thread and make your own call).. But this is in fact the email sent out today, signed by the people heading up the PWD.. So hopefully it's the final call.
This email is to clarify a few points about the FUN Pinewood Derby opportunities your son may have this weekend or next. The previous Pinewood promotion email left parents with a few questions so hear are the answers.

Point 1: The HEARTLAND DERBY (Peoria region but open to anyone) is THIS Saturday, Feb 15th - advanced online registration is suggested. The WOTAMALO DERBY (EAST of the river) will be held in Hopedale on Feb 22nd.

Point 2: Registrations for the Wotamalo (East of the River) District are subject to all the rules that can be found on the District website (http://www.wotamalo.org" target="_blank) under the Activities, Cub Scout, Pinewood Derby tabs to link to the Rules, FAQ, and registrations document.

Scouts must register with their Pack. Racers must have raced in their Pack Derby and only 4 per Den may attend as racers. Cars that are entered in ONLY the Design class are admittable without having raced or placed. A racer may bring a second car for the design category, but their race car will not considered for a design trophy. Design cars must still meet the requirements that are listed in the Rules.

We apologize for the confusion. Both derbies are run using the Burlington Sort Method, however, Wotamalo has different registration requirements that are special. I know over the years, some people have wondered why we do the things we do in Wotamalo and this is a good chance to share our mission statement with you.

The Mission Statement for the Wotamalo Derby has been: to hold a quality event that is visibly fair and fun for the boys that encourages Packs to hold a quality Pack Pinewood Derby. All of this is in support of our true goal which is to encourage Scouts and their Parent/Grandparent/Aunt/Uncle to get the boys into the workshop. The boys' memories of the Derby will fade in time and the value of the car will be in the memories it holds of their loved one(s) in the workshop spending time, energy, and attention on them.

Again, we appreciate your support. I know some of you were quite confused at the thought of Wotamalo rules changing at the last minute and will be relieved to know they are not. Also, if you or any other parents from your Pack are interested in helping, we always need volunteers. Please give Peter (Heartland) or Shane (Wotamalo) a heads up if you can Staff on Race Day.