Axles

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
whitaker717
Apprentice
Apprentice

Axles

Post by whitaker717 »

I know this is a longshot, or may have been talked about somewhere else but does anyone know where to buy axles in bulk? I can't seem to get many straight axles from the kits, not to mention I ruin a few. I would like to be able to pick 4 of the straightest ones I can find. I'm not a take them to a cnc lathe operator kind of dad. At least not yet. lol Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Axles

Post by Vitamin K »

This post probably should be moved to Derby Products and Services, but I know that Maximum Velocity sells bulk BSA axles.

[Mods, please edit this post if linking to a product for sale is breaking the rules] http://www.maximum-velocity.com/wheels_axles.htm#bsa" target="_blank
whitaker717 wrote:I know this is a longshot, or may have been talked about somewhere else but does anyone know where to buy axles in bulk? I can't seem to get many straight axles from the kits, not to mention I ruin a few. I would like to be able to pick 4 of the straightest ones I can find. I'm not a take them to a cnc lathe operator kind of dad. At least not yet. lol Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
psycaz
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by psycaz »

Pm Derby Evolution. He has them. They're listed on his website. Packages of 10. If you want more, I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

psycaz wrote:Packages of 10.
Hodges also sells packs of 10 (Item H45). I suppose that most vendors that sell modified BSA wheels have surplus axles in bulk.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

You have two quality strategies regarding axles to choose from:
(1) Buy or alter axles sufficiently straight that you can drill rear camber and not need to alter the toe angle in order to peak performance, or
(2) Buy or alter axles sufficiently straight that you can polish them and compensate for slight deviations from straightness by applying bent axle alignment in order to peak performance.

Both work ... well!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
whitaker717
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by whitaker717 »

Has anyone ever heard of axles being poured instead of coming out of a mold with the crimp marks. I was talking to someone and they said they used axles that were poured instead of molded. He said his didn't have any crimp marks and all he did was polish. I have never heard this before
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote:[Mods, please edit this post if linking to a product for sale is breaking the rules] http://www.maximum-velocity.com/wheels_axles.htm#bsa" target="_blank
Not unless you have some stake in that business, financial or otherwise.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

whitaker717 wrote:He said his didn't have any crimp marks...
As mentioned here, conventional axles are nails are made from pieces of wire, where the head is formed by compressing one end of the wire. The crimp marks are also pressed into the wire by a form that grips the wire at some point (often when the head is formed). However, this form does not necessarily have to add crimp marks; Revell axles are an example of wire nails without crimp marks.

Another way is to leave no crimp marks is to machine the axle from stock. This is the way many high performance axles are made.

I have never heard of an axle being "poured"; I suspect your acquaintance might have been confused as to why crimp marks are sometimes absent.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I don't know the details of how they're manufactured, but CSB Shape N Race axles have never had crimp marks.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I have no stake in this link:
http://www.fastpinewoodderbytips.com/pi ... ifference/" target="_blank
Business,financial or otherwise.

However you guys might enjoy the read and whats said.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?