Going to districts. Need some advice.

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
VADAD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Going to districts. Need some advice.

Post by VADAD »

Coming along nicely.

I'm going with .4 inch bars instead of .3 (although it'll be .375 after sanding). I'm hoping that bracing the bars in the middle and tying them together right where they meet will be enough.

If anyone I reading this and you don't have the following tools yet, do yourself a favor and buy them now.

Digital caliper. $15-20 on Amazon. I just got one and I have no idea how I got by without one.

Diamond coated cutting discs for Dremel. You can get 5 for $5-$6 on Amazon. Dremel brand discs are wider, but cost $15 a disc!

Digital calipers are usually in the $150 range. The cheaper versions aren't quite as accurate, but my $15 cheapie accurately measure to .001 inches, FAR more than I need. Those cut off wheels will let you slice up multiple cars with precision on one blade. They are incredible. I'm not trying to sell anything, just giving out a tip on two absolute gems I had delivered last week. Take it for whatever it's worth. ;)
VADAD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Going to districts. Need some advice.

Post by VADAD »

Weight boxes are cut but need sanding and some touch-up to get the weights to sit perfectly flat.
My plan is use that flat square in the photo as a cover on the weights. I'm going to cut out holes just small enough to keep the weights in, but big enough to see all four rows of weights. The cover will slide under the top bar and will possibly be secured with a small screw going through the top bar, through the cover, and through the middle of the axles. It's a little risky though.