Ground clearence

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Ground clearence

Post by ohiofitter »

I know the rules say 3/8 inch for the clearence of the rails, but has anyone built a car with fenders to get them as close to the track as possible. And if so how far can the fenders be down defore the fenders bottom out on the track.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Ground clearence

Post by Topspin.D »

You're supposed to relieve the inside edge of each fender to provide more clearance. Also, depending on what type of track you're running on you may only need 1/4" of space.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

This sounds very familiar. Depending on how your rules read, and more importantly, how the inspectors interpret them, I would ask the person in charge of your District Derby if what you are going to do is going to be legal. You might get this set-up past your Pack Inspectors and then get disqualified at the District level. An uncomfortable time. Even if they let you rip the fenders off the car at District the car will never run the same.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

ohiofitter wrote:I know the rules say 3/8 inch for the clearence of the rails
Speedster wrote:This sounds very familiar. Depending on how your rules read, and more importantly, how the inspectors interpret them, I would ask the person in charge of your District Derby if what you are going to do is going to be legal.
Speedster is right.

Some inspectors may pass a car useing fenders that hang down
under the interpretation of 3/8'' of clearence between car and track..
and 1 3/4'' width between the wheels.

And then some inspectors may look at it and interpret the 3/8'' clearence between car & track rule:
As to when the car sets on a plane level surface.. (from wheel running surface of the track)
to the bottom of the car for the 3/8'' of clearence.. all the way around & under the car.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
resullivan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by resullivan »

IMO, that would be a really bad interpretation of that rule. The only purpose of the rule is to ensure the car can make it down the track. In fact, just about every pinewood derby event we have been to will give a car a test run if it does not meet the clearance in the box. If it rolls it runs.