Semi Racing

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Semi Racing

Post by gpraceman »

With all of these semis being built recently, maybe the Mid America race should add a big rig class.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Semi Racing

Post by sporty »

gpraceman wrote:With all of these semis being built recently, maybe the Mid America race should add a big rig class.
I have already suggested it to Gregg.
Issues.

Need exstended start gate.
Weight, ship to and from, costly
Hard to find BSA rig kits
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

I think you'd also have an issue with finding a suitable number of participants. I must admit it would be interesting to see how one of those monsters rolls down a track, though. I imagine the trailer dynamics would create some interesting weight-placement situations.
sporty wrote:
gpraceman wrote:With all of these semis being built recently, maybe the Mid America race should add a big rig class.
I have already suggested it to Gregg.
Issues.

Need exstended start gate.
Weight, ship to and from, costly
Hard to find BSA rig kits
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:Need exstended start gate.
Making a short extension piece for a Best Track would actually not be too hard to do.
sporty wrote:Weight, ship to and from, costly
I'm not so sure that it would be that much more costly to ship, but it depends on the weight. USPS does have shoe box sized box that you can get for free from them.
sporty wrote:Hard to find BSA rig kits
I thought that there was an alternate vendor. Beta Crafts? If not, maybe one of the other derby suppliers might be willing to at least make a limited run of kits available.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Currently beta semi kits out of stock. Not sure when they be in stock.
8 inch long cab. 9oz
13 inch long trailer, 22oz
That's the rules, weight I have seen
Have several emails in to BSA and beta craft the past 3 weeks, no replies back yet.
Hard to find extra axles too.
It would be interesting to see actual to and from shipping costs.3 & 3/38 wide, 4 inches tall typical size.
Sporty
Last edited by sporty on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote:I think you'd also have an issue with finding a suitable number of participants. I must admit it would be interesting to see how one of those monsters rolls down a track, though. I imagine the trailer dynamics would create some interesting weight-placement situations.
Well, many here and in the adult leagues can make a fast PWD car, but how fast can they make a semi go? That would pose some new challenges.

Of course, I'd rather keep Derby Talk focused on the kids races, but this might be a case that if we can get the adults on board with a big rig race, it would help drive getting big rig races more into the kids races.

If Best Track and Micro Wizard were to offer start line extensions, it would certainly help the cause.
Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Certainly some vendors could make,mfg a better pin system, mounting the trailer, aluminuim comes to mind
There is issues with current offered system.
Same goes for the axles, they bend really easy and most of mine are not even close to being decent axles.

I'd be interested in those things and maybe a race, but I don't want to spend $30 round trip shipping plus entry fee. Unless it was cash awards for prizes.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

FWIW, Best Track does have semi truck extensions for sale on their site.

I don't personally find the concept of racing trucks to be all that compelling. They're very nice to look at, though!
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Vitamin K wrote:FWIW, Best Track does have semi truck extensions for sale on their site.
I found it finally. They don't make it easy to find. Their site really could use some work to make it more user friendly.
Randy Lisano

Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

All of the track manufacturers seem to have less-than-great websites. Seems to be a running theme. :mrgreen:
gpraceman wrote:
Vitamin K wrote:FWIW, Best Track does have semi truck extensions for sale on their site.
I found it finally. They don't make it easy to find. Their site really could use some work to make it more user friendly.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:I'd be interested in those things and maybe a race, but I don't want to spend $30 round trip shipping plus entry fee. Unless it was cash awards for prizes.
sporty wrote:8 inch long cab. 9oz
Say it was 36 oz (2 lb 4 oz) all packaged up. From my zip code to the Mid America race (zip 68138), it would be $8.85 one way ($7.36 if the postage was printed off of the USPS website) via Priority Mail. So, it is not quite as expensive as you thought to ship it.

You can calculate for your zip code at http://postcalc.usps.com/
Randy Lisano

sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I was off on my estimate. At work I can only take a guess.

I stopped at the post office on the way home.

and Yeppers, not using a priority box, and just shipping it like you mentioned. they gave me about the same price. I did nto ask what it would be with insurance and tracking, I know that's usually $1.60 more. Or last time I used it.

I usually paid $5.85 to ship one car one way. about $12 total.

So about $20, round strip.

Sporty
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

sporty wrote:I did nto ask what it would be with insurance and tracking, I know that's usually $1.60 more.
The rates I listed were Priority Mail, which includes tracking and insurance up to $50.
sporty wrote:So about $20, round strip.
From my zip code, it would be $7.36 x 2 = $14.72 for a round trip. From Rock Falls, IL it looks to be the same rate.
sporty wrote:I stopped at the post office on the way home.
The rates are cheaper if you print the postage off of the USPS website. Print onto regular paper and tape it onto the package. Then you walk into the Post Office, skip the line and drop it off at the counter. You should see some of the dirty looks that we get when we drop off our packages, but the postage is already paid, so no need to wait in a line for a clerk or the postage machine.
sporty wrote:not using a priority box
You can order any of the priority/express shipping boxes off of the website and they are free. Saves you money off of providing your own box. Their "shoe box" boxes would likely fit a semi and trailer.
Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

sporty wrote:Currently beta semi kits out of stock. Not sure when they be in stock.
8 inch long cab. 9oz
That's the rules, weight I have seen
Hard to find extra axles too.
In this case if the kids were wishing to race semi trucks:
And no kits were to be found for the 18 wheelers you could change your rules up!
and make a semi truck like the revell semi truck kit and go with 10 wheels.
http://www.revell.com/pinewood-derby/im ... xy8653.jpg
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Well if BSA or beta craft can get kits for sale before the mud america next year, maybe there is hope.
Sporty