Oil prep on scout track

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Oil prep on scout track

Post by Noskills »

Question to all,
If you had a track that runs mostly scout races using almost entirely graphite, would a car running an oil prep get fouled by extra graphite on the track? We have a graphite only rule which I assume to to keep the playing field even but I get an oil prep would be slowed by a graphite dusted track.
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Oil prep on scout track

Post by Vitamin K »

Huhn, that's an interesting question. You should ask Greg and the Mid-America crew what they do, since they run both oil and graphite races at the same event.
Noskills wrote:Question to all,
If you had a track that runs mostly scout races using almost entirely graphite, would a car running an oil prep get fouled by extra graphite on the track? We have a graphite only rule which I assume to to keep the playing field even but I get an oil prep would be slowed by a graphite dusted track.
Noskills
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

I dont think the graphite really gets into the wheel bores of oil cars. If someone misused oil and had too much and got it on the outside of the wheels it would collect graphite from the track. When using oil though you only need 1-2 drops.
knotthed
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by knotthed »

I think you have a better chance of fouling your wheel od, than you do your axle/bore interface. That would be the same no matter what lube you're running.

Just out of curiosity, is your rule "Graphite only" or is it "Dry"?