Questions on raising a wheel

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
DaringRacer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Questions on raising a wheel

Post by DaringRacer »

Our rules are very strict, no bending anything, wheels must be flat, etc. One thing we are allowed to do is run on 3 wheels. I've made several cars with raising a wheel but have been wondering about a couple things that even after searching I'm still not sure of.

1. I can get the alignment to go fairly straight, but not perfect. It's going to ride the rail at some point. Which side should the car 'steer' toward? The raised wheel or the down wheel?
2. Should I put more weight on one side of the car or keep it centered?

Thanks!
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Questions on raising a wheel

Post by Stan Pope »

The purpose of the raised wheel is to avoid expending energy to spin that wheel up. Do you avoid expending that energy if you steer the raised wheel into the rail?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Questions on raising a wheel

Post by ngyoung »

Having only 3 wheels touching any part of the track, including the rail, is preferred. So steer the down wheel into the rail. You can also take advantage of the slop in the wheel bore to have a very slight 1* angle in your axles and still have flat sitting wheels. For weight, having it centered if fine. Whether biasing some toward the DFW or away is pretty subjective. There are too many variables to rule one side better then the other for all cars.