Wheel Question

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Camracer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wheel Question

Post by Camracer »

Today we had our district race. My son came in sixth. We developed a wobbble that slowed us down. Very proud of him though. During the intermission for the finals, I overheard our race inspector talking about he was curious about how the top 4 cars all had marks on the insides of there wheels with a marker. Anyone ever seen this?
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wheel Question

Post by ngyoung »

Could just be to mark which wheel goes where.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I've never seen this. I always remove my mark with alcohol. The wheels might have been spun in the wheel balancer and that marked the light side, or heavy side, of the wheel. If the wheels could have been inspected closely there might have been a tiny drop of fingernail polish, black paint or some other substance somewhere else on the inside of the wheel. There might also have been some type scrape shown on the inside of the wheel to reduce weight from the heavy side of the wheel. Peculiar it was top 4 cars.
Camracer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Camracer »

It could have been just marking the wheel location or balancing them. We were able to get a cloer look during the intermission. It was a bit odd that they all had the same color mark regardless of the color of the wheel on all the top 4 cars. Didn't know if you guys with more experience than I knew the secret. Thanks!
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

Bought wheels. Or the same 4 cars. Same people were all connected with the building procress.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

I put on X on the raised from wheel that I don't polish and D on the DFW so I know to spend extra time on the rim. All with sharpie. Very hard to see. Curious that 4 cars had this though....conspiracy? :?
Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

By "inside of their wheels", did they mean on the axle heads, or on the actual inner surface of the wheels themselves?
Camracer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Camracer »

The marks were on the insides of the wheels. 3 of the cars had identical body styles and were from 2 different packs. I certainly don't want to imply that any of those kids cars were pre-built cars. They were all happy little boys at the end of the day. But I can say that my son did one heck of a job on his axels and wheels. And I was proud of hiss efforts. :D He had a heck of a fast car too. We were just off on the setup a little. Being that it was a 6 lane track and we raced against some really fast cars I would not be suprised if some of his wobble didn't come from aero push maybe. It was its worst during the finals. We had a drift of 1.5 to 2 inches of drift over 4ft.
ngyoung
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ngyoung »

Congrats to your son making the finals at districts. Hope your son had a great pwd experience and it gives him motivation to do even better next year.

That drift is pretty light. Even a lot of the fastest league racers still start at 4" over 4' then make adjustments from there. It is definitely recommended when going in blind without an opportunity to test and tune.