Wheels Suck!

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Wheels Suck!

Post by Gtdhw »

race#67 wrote:Wow, how many did you go through to get that many under .001? I assume the colored ones are USA, not Revell?

I broke down and decided to pick up a wheel "truer", from the local Scout store. I went back and read our rules real good, and it specifically states that "Minor truing of the wheel tread is acceptable...". So I went through and found all of the .003/.004 of better OoR wheels (found 18 out of 62 that I had), the rest were .005+ OoR), and trued them up. I took a lot of measurements to ensure that only the OoR measurement was removed, so that the tread profile overall, was not "thinned" any. The red wheels are actually the only set of red wheels that we had, and they are the Revelle BSA wheels. It's painfully obvious that they are a much thicker/heavier wheel, but they are going onto the car that I had already designed/built before I found DT earlier this month (in which I decided to build another, better weighted car). The other 12 .0005" wheels are all BSA box black. We are running all BSA box axles as well.

The wheels, we have never put this much effort into before. Between all of the steps that we are doing new this year (20+ steps), it's taking about an hour per wheel, from start to finish (using a macro-scope each step of the way). With 16 wheels, that's a lot of time, lol. We have 3 sets of wheels complete, and 1 set of axles complete (none married yet). The Pack race is mid May.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

I think that's cool that you're spending that much time on the wheels to get them right. My boy likes using the dial indicator just as you set yours up. Are you using a pin gauge? Seems like you are if you're getting down to .001". We use a pin gauge and the wheel doesn't rock at all.
Gtdhw
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gtdhw »

My boys enjoy using the tool as well!

I'm using a #41 drill bit for the usa wheels. Very nice & no-rock-but-snug fit on the majority of them.
I wish I was the man that my dog thinks I am.
race#67
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by race#67 »

Old thread I know, which wheel truer did you use?