Advice for new Scout racers

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Advice for new Scout racers

Post by davet »

We recently raced our last scout race. We've placed 1st at Districts the last three years with track records each year. We placed 7th, 4th and 1st in the highly competitive NorthernStar Council. That 7th place car had ALL STOCK parts. It can be done without spending a lot of money but it takes time.

*** For any new members reading this and just starting out in Scouts I have three pieces of advice:
1) Help your son build whatever design he can dream up. He'll stay interested during the build process and be very proud of his car no matter how it places.In order we had an 8-wheeled tank, a missile, American Flag car, aircraft carrier and this year, our fastest car was a blue lightning bolt with 4 LED's.

2) Start the build as soon as you get the car. We always got our kits 2 months before the Pack race. Take the entire 2 months to build it. My son's attention span was short and sometimes we would work on the car 10 or 15 minutes before a friend came over or he got sidetracked. More frustrating for me but I could use a little lesson in patience myself. We often ran into "glitches" which if they had come close to the race date we would've been in trouble.

3) If you don't have the skills, time, tools or interest to help your son build a car...ask someone in your Den, Pack, a neighbor or friend for help. There are some adults in your Pack that wish they had 10 sons all 5 years apart and would be flattered to be asked for help. Any parent in your Pack for at least one year will know who these people are. Don't just give the block to your son and leave him struggle. He won't learn how to use the tools and you'll miss out on the chance to be a team together. There's a lesson is asking for help too.