Minimum diameter of axle

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Minimum diameter of axle

Post by Speedster »

The Mid America (.084) and others have a rule on the limit the size of an axle can be, If all other rules are followed, why is there a limit on the size the axle can be less then stock size. Since Doc. Jobe says Smaller axles do not go faster I fail to see a reason for the rule. Also, it seems like an unenforceable rule..
What am I missing?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Minimum diameter of axle

Post by whodathunkit »

Well Speedster,

Don't most stock BSA axles range from ( 0.088 to 0.086) in diameter.
Maybe the reason for the Mid America rule of a minimum of (0.084) is for the kids .. who spend a little to much time filing and sanding there axles.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The BSA axle is fairly consistent at .087 with it a bit larger if measured across the casting marks on the shaft. The only thing I can think of is if the Myth is believed that smaller axles go faster. The vendors all make larger axles for a reason. None of them make smaller axles. Why the rule? It had to be made for a reason or maybe it's like our District where we have a rule but no one can tell me why it was made. Orrrrr, we've always done it like that.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Small axles go faster if the bore is reduced in size accordingly, I believe.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

VK, that might be true. However, I doubt that any Scout Race, including the Mid America, allows changing the bore size to something smaller. As always, I could be wrong.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 am VK, that might be true. However, I doubt that any Scout Race, including the Mid America, allows changing the bore size to something smaller. As always, I could be wrong.
Rules disallow things like bushings. They don't disallow bore treatments. It is possible one could use a "treatment" that would build up enough layers to narrow the bore. Examples might be layers of CA glue that were subsequently polished.

This is just speculation, but it's a lot easier to put calipers on an axle than it is to measure bore diameter. :)