McDonald's French Fry Car

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

Hey
My name is Stephen Lajuwomi and about a year ago and asked for some help on making a LightningMcQueen car for an Awana Grand Prix.
I ended up not winning a prize for that car(cause it wasn't creative enough :( ) but my sister ended up making a car that got third place for design :bigups: .
I used a lot of tips you guys gave me for that car, which I really appreciated! I received amazing help and want to thank everyone, particularly whodathunkit, for your generous help! :mrgreen:

I am heading into another Grand Prix this year on January 26th and am thinking on making a McDonald's French Fry car that I saw on YouTube. Here is the link for the video:

https://youtu.be/NjxVnMuKtog

I am struggling on drawing a good design for the car and have no idea how I am going to cut the fries to make them look like individual fries or pieces :wall: . I would really appreciate your help again and am extremely grateful!

Thanks again! :thanks:
Stephen
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Hi Stephen
And welcome back!
How did your car do in the race?

Have you seen the do you want fries with that topic?
Where I share how to make a version of the McDonalds French fry car.

It’s some what different in looks for the fries..On the car however.
But it should give a idea on how you could make your fries.

Let me know if it helps you out Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: McDonald's French Fry Car

Post by Darin McGrew »

Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 amI ended up not winning a prize for that car(cause it wasn't creative enough :( )
Yeah, we've created separate design awards for "Automobile" and "Unusual" designs, because when we just have one design category, the only cars that win are the unusual designs. Creating an "Automobile" design category allows those who create really amazing cars (that actually look like vehicles of some sort) to be recognized for their work.
Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 amI am heading into another Grand Prix this year on January 26th and am thinking on making a McDonald's French Fry car that I saw on YouTube. Here is the link for the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxVnMuKtog

I am struggling on drawing a good design for the car and have no idea how I am going to cut the fries to make them look like individual fries or pieces :wall: . I would really appreciate your help again and am extremely grateful!
If I were making a "McDonald's Fries" car, then I would cut the block down to a thin slab, and then attach decorations to it. I'd make the box from thin basswood from the craft store. I'd carve a couple rows of fries into the rear of the car, and then add additional fries cut from individual strips of wood to fill up the box.

I've found it a lot easier to construct things like this than to carve them out of the original block.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Stephen
You’ll want to take note of the concave shaped design on the front end of the car as well!
Note: the car seen in the video and how it's front end sticks passed the starting gate pin!
That little concave detail in design .. could keep you from racing the car as VK points out in the topic!
Found here: https://www.derbytalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8552

Here's a pic of the McDonald's French fry car I built for that topic.
Close up view of salt on the fries:
Not every builder is going to build a car to the same liking.. as the car seen in the video.
Sure , if had the image of the car seen in the video at the time to look at when I made my McDonald's french fry car.
I could have made the french fries look some what to the same as whats seen on the car in the video.
To tell you the truth Stephen this is the very first McDonald's French Fry Car I have built.

And Darin’s idea on cutting down on wood weight is a good way to make the car more light weight as well.
How ever in this image you'll see what i did to remove some wood weight on the front end of the car.

Stephen here's an image of a side view drawing to my car pattern:
On the back end of the car it could have been cut out a little thinner say to a 1/4'' thick.
( Note the square blocks seen on the pattern.. I could have moved down a set of blocks making it thinner for the back.)
Here's an image showing the car block cut out with the weight pockets.
Okay here's how I made the fries for this car.
This image shows the cover plate I was working on to cover the weight pockets.. on the outer edges I cut ripples out to look like fries.
(The cover plate is probably not needed however I wanted a flat surface for the weights to rest on!)
Then the first set of fries that I made and glued down to the weight pocket cover plate.
And the last set of fries on top:

Okay to change the fries up like the fries seen on the car in the video Stephen.
All you need to do is to cut out the back part of the car thinner.. and cut strips of wood in different sizes and lengths.
and start stacking them on.. maybe lay some down on some different angles.
And maybe even sand some to different shapes a little so they all don't lay down flat or even.
When your happy with the way they look for your first set of fries start gluing them down.
Then move on to the next layer of fries.. changing them up from the first set.

Good to see you back .. and better luck this go around Stephen.
And you did a good job with the Lightning McQueen car!
That's not an easy car to find car patterns for or the decals for the car for that matter. ;)

Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

whodathunkit wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am Hi Stephen
And welcome back!
How did your car do in the race?

Have you seen the do you want fries with that topic?
Where I share how to make a version of the McDonalds French fry car.

It’s some what different in looks for the fries..On the car however.
But it should give a idea on how you could make your fries.

Let me know if it helps you out Stephen.

Sorry for my late reply, I have been really busy this last week. My car was either 5th or 6th in speed at the race, which is really great because of how many people were there!

Yes, I have seen and read your topic, Do you want fries with that, and it has helped me out. I have a few questions however. Did you use carving knives to carve out the fries or did you cut them out with a scroll saw? Also it looks as if the bottom plate underneath the fries is wavy just like a fry would be, how did you do that? Finally, how and what did you carve out the M out of?

Thanks once again for all you guys' help!
Stephen0602
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Stephen0602 »

Darin McGrew wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 amI ended up not winning a prize for that car(cause it wasn't creative enough :( )
Yeah, we've created separate design awards for "Automobile" and "Unusual" designs, because when we just have one design category, the only cars that win are the unusual designs. Creating an "Automobile" design category allows those who create really amazing cars (that actually look like vehicles of some sort) to be recognized for their work.
Stephen0602 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 amI am heading into another Grand Prix this year on January 26th and am thinking on making a McDonald's French Fry car that I saw on YouTube. Here is the link for the video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjxVnMuKtog

If I were making a "McDonald's Fries" car, then I would cut the block down to a thin slab, and then attach decorations to it. I'd make the box from thin basswood from the craft store. I'd carve a couple rows of fries into the rear of the car, and then add additional fries cut from individual strips of wood to fill up the box.

I've found it a lot easier to construct things like this than to carve them out of the original block.
Thanks for this advice, Darin!

I have a question about the box. You said you would add additional fries to fill up the box. I'm taking you mean to hollow out the box, which isn't necessary but possible. Could you clarify that, please?

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Stephen
For the fries I cut out the basic shape on the scroll saw also cutting the wavy shapes

You could straight strips and use a Dremel tool
with a round sanding drum to shape your fries.
However that’s if you like the looks of wavy fries.

For the cover plate I shaped the edges with
The Dremel tool and sanding drum.
For the M logo ..
I cut it out on the scroll saw.
However that detail could be painted on as well.

Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

Stephen0602 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:56 pm
Darin McGrew wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pmIf I were making a "McDonald's Fries" car, then I would cut the block down to a thin slab, and then attach decorations to it. I'd make the box from thin basswood from the craft store. I'd carve a couple rows of fries into the rear of the car, and then add additional fries cut from individual strips of wood to fill up the box.

Thanks for this advice, Darin!

I have a question about the box. You said you would add additional fries to fill up the box. I'm taking you mean to hollow out the box, which isn't necessary but possible. Could you clarify that, please?

I would use thin (1/8 inch) basswood for the front and sides of the box. These are the pieces that are the top and sides of the car. The bottom of the box (front of the car) would be a thicker piece, both for durability and to allow me to cut the curved bottom of the box.

On the inside, the box would be braced with square (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch) basswood. This bracing reinforces the structure, and also provides a way to attach this decoration to the derby car underneath. I'd use two small screws to attach the car body to the decoration, sending each screw up from the bottom of the car, and into one of the square basswood braces.

For the fries, I'd get either basswood or balsa or maybe even craft foam that is square and the right size for McD's fries. (I recall them being straight and square, not wavy, although it's been a while since I've had them.) I'd probably attach them to the back of the car directly, making sure I could set the box over them and then screw the box to the bottom of the car. But that way, once the box is attached, it looks like there are fries stuffed into it.

I've used this "decorative box" technique for a number of my cars over the years. Here's a photo of one that is basically nothing but a decorative box attached to a thin slab from the original box:
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Darin McGrew wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:24 am For the fries, I'd get either basswood or balsa or maybe even craft foam that is square and the right size for McD's fries. (I recall them being straight and square, not wavy, although it's been a while since I've had them.) I'd probably attach them to the back of the car directly, making sure I could set the box over them and then screw the box to the bottom of the car. But that way, once the box is attached, it looks like there are fries stuffed into it.
Darin
I like your Idea of using craft foam for the fries .
And you are so right about the McD's fries being straight and somewhat square.
Don't know why I made my fries wavy.. Guess that comes from just building the car with out a pic of the real thing to look at. ;)

Stephen,
For making a light weight container box to hold the fries .. you could use the real thing and cut and shape the McD's container so it fit's the car body.
Plus you would save a step .. by having the big M logo ready to go as well.