Shipping Trucks

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Shipping Trucks

Post by Speedster »

The Mid America called me yesterday and told me the hubs on my rear wheels were both broken. The wheels were 1.8 gram and surely the area around the hubs was more weak because of the material removed. I was sure the way I packaged it the truck could sustain no damage. I was wrong. I should have listened to my wife. Mid America kindly offered to try to fix it but I declined. Too many variables. My only intent this year was to get an Elapsed Time on a 42' Best track with the original set up. That was no longer possible. Also, there was no reason to take a chance on causing damage to someone else. I will be able to do more testing with the truck this summer and be able to use the timer. I'll also be building another Class "B" truck because their construction is very challenging and I have learned a lot with this first one. I'm hoping to have two trucks in the race next year.
I wish all racers the Very Best.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Shipping Trucks

Post by Eagle »

Sorry to hear about the Big Rig B.

Are you running any other classes?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Not running any other classes. Been there, Done that. I'm hooked on the Class "B" trucks. This is a whole new Ballgame. I like the Class "B". The Class "A" is way to complicated for me. Just looking at all those wheels makes me Dizzy.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I understand the Big Rig B drive. And, the 18 wheeler truck and trailer is intimidating. But, Whoda inspired me. After seeing his I know I have no chance in the looks department. And having to add a guidepin last minute... We'll see what happens. Are they racing the rigs today or tomorrow?
Hoping since I didn't get a call that mine arrived intact.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

The Big Rigs race tonight. It's my understanding they race after the Pro racing. Mid America has a set up where you can watch it on your computer. Someone much more knowledgeable then I perhaps will volunteer to guide you.

If you sent it Priority Mail you'll be able to track it. I doubt they will call you unless it arrived damaged and it was unable to go down the track.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Looked like Whoda must have got your rig fixed up. Not sure what this ridiculously long delay is all about. But, good that we got to see it run!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yep, Mark and Randy Lisano got it repaired and they did a Great job. Many Thanks to both of you.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

I hope Mark took a bunch of pictures and knows the results of the Big Rg B's they did not post. camera scrolled to floor after Spirit of America broke the track record. Nothing but the cords on the floor for what seemed like forever. When camera was turned up they were putting the stop section back together.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I made a post to our GrandPrix Software Central Facebook page that shows some photos of Day 1, including the results of the Big Rig classes and a video clip of one of the heats.

Bill's truck wasn't too hard to repair, but I am sure that the jolt that caused the wheels to break off of it, didn't help it's performance. Joel, from Derby Evolution, was very kind to chip in the replacement wheels.

One other big rig showed up damaged. It had a broken fin despite a very elaborate packing job. Greg was able to repair that with some super glue.

There was a tie for 2nd in the Big Rig Class B race. Whoda won the tiebreaker based off of head-to-head results. Congrats to Whoda. It was good to be able to meet him in person.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Great pictures, Randy
Thank you for everything.
Bill
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Thanks to Don Murphy RIP for coming up with the Pinewood Derby.

Thanks to Greg Dawes and his team for putting Mid America Derby on year after year.

And Special thanks to Mark and Bill!! I appreciate both of you. I hope that we continue to learn and build super cool and fast Big Rigs. Just throwing ideas out and talking about them makes a big difference. I bet, there will be more rigs next year as a result of this years event and the time and effort we put in to get rigs there. Even with the horrible echo, hearing the communication going on was worth the price of entry.

Wish I was there with you Mark. MAybe next year. Safe travels home.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Bill and Eagle!
Just made the long 8 hr trip back home seen this post and just had to chime in.. The race was lots of fun guys Thank's for racing!

Bill,
Sorry about your truck getting damaged in shipping! But Thank you so very much for letting Randy & I get your truck fixed so you could race!
Your truck was so very cool to see in person.. There was a lot of hard work put into making it in my eyes Bill And i wanted so much to see you race it!
Even though i know you wanted to see what your hard work would do! Next year will be your year Speedster!!
Dura ran very good at 3.0308 and taking 4th place in your first year to race a class B rig.

Eagle,
And you say I'm the Creative one! Congrats on the 1st place win at 2.7944 Spirit of America Class B rig

Doug! you and I tied of all things at 2.912
Randy ran the tiebreaker on the computer soft ware... i was shocked to have moved up into 2nd place with the tiebreaker!

2.9512 Ol' Red 2nd place
2.9512 Screaming Eagle 3rd place.

18 Wheeler's
1st place Speed Reaper at 2.8538
2nd place Built for Speed at 2.8912
3rd place Chased at 2.9779
4th place Bobcat at 3.0169

Yes Bill and Eagle packing the big rigs for shipping is hard to do to keep them from moving around in the box.
Foam in the bottom, sides and top will help some..
This year i packed up the rigs on the wooden stands i made and wrapped them up in trash bags and packed in foam around the trucks for the long dive out.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speed Reaper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Speed Reaper »

Greetings everyone. I am new to derby talk but after meeting a few of you at Mid America I thought I should join. This was my first year making a big rig and really enjoyed the race Friday night. Also enjoyed meeting Whoda and seeing his great trucks and seeing the other trucks that were there. There was a lot of time and ingenuity put into those trucks and it was really cool to see them.
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Eagle »

Welcome Speed Reaper! Which rig(s) were yours?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

He's got a Class "A" truck and he took 1st place.
Speed Reaper, what's the total weight of your truck?