Axle in original location and rail rider, help

General discussions for car and semi-truck racers.
RFGIV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Axle in original location and rail rider, help

Post by RFGIV »

My son’s car is headed to the council championship. It is a rail rider and we raised the from left wheel by nailing it in above the axle slot. We got the district rules and it says the wheelbase and axle slot must be in the original location. It says nothing about all 4 wheels touching, so it seems to allow one high wheel. But, how do I have a high wheel with the axle in the original location? Thanks for the help!
Eagle
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Axle in original location and rail rider, help

Post by Eagle »

So, do rules say you must use the slot? Axles must be visible? Nail heads must be visible?

Sounds like you have to leave the slots, and the wheels have to be 4 3/8" apart. That doesn't mean that you have to use the slots.

As to your question:
If you cant the dominate front wheel (top out) 5 degrees or more it will automatically lift the non dominate (lifted) wheel.
No need to lift any higher.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

RFGIV, Welcome to Derbytalk.

You are so kind. Your question will be the easiest for this year.
Go to your scout shop or Hobby Lobby. Buy what Derby Worx calls a "Pro Body Tool Drilling Guide, about $12.00". It comes with a #44 Drill bit. The 3rd hole in the tool is designed to do what you want to do. It will take about 2 seconds. You're strong enough. You don't need to clamp it to the car. I'll send you a picture of the tool.
OOPS. It took me 4 seconds but I have arthritis in one of my fingers.

Your Team must be doing well. Might we see a picture of the car"
RFGIV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RFGIV »

The rules say “wheel base and axle location must be in original location.” That is all it says. So, you think drilling a hole above the axle would be ok? It doesn’t say you have to use the axle, but I assumed you do. Thanks for the replies!
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

No, don't drill a hole. The inspector is going to want to see the nail and you will be using the slot. The tool will make that happen. Drill the hole running the #44 bit through the tool first.
RFGIV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by RFGIV »

ok, thank you.