Oh' to be a kid and use this tool to build a car with.

Links to cool non-commercial derby or regatta websites or web pages!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thought all of you here on DT would enjoy seeing this web site.
Check out the video as well!
http://www.cncrouterparts.com/custom-pi ... p-402.html
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Oh' to be a kid and use this tool to build a car with.

Post by davet »

That would be so much fine. I would burn through blocks like crazy just seeing what the thing could do.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

I hear you on that davet!

I can see work shops moving along a little faster as well with this tool when it's down to cutting and shaping time.
But maybe some long lines waiting to draw out cars on the computer if there is no special car pattern for the car the kid has in mind to build.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

That software they were using for designing looked pretty cool too. Not just punching in a bunch of measurements.

My nephew has Aspergers Syndrome and a was given a small 3D printer by someone that saw some potential in him to use it. No instruction, just supplies and the manual. The stuff he makes is unbelievable. That same guy that gave it to him now has hired him to design items used to make the life for disabled people better.

Who knows what a kid seeing and using that CNC machine at a workshop will get inspired to do or be.

Just another reason why adults should work with the kids in building the cars. The stuff they could get exposed to can have a powerful impact well beyond pinewood derby
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

davet wrote:
My nephew has Aspergers Syndrome and a was given a small 3D printer by someone that saw some potential in him to use it. No instruction, just supplies and the manual. The stuff he makes is unbelievable. That same guy that gave it to him now has hired him to design items used to make the life for disabled people better.

Who knows what a kid seeing and using that CNC machine at a workshop will get inspired to do or be.

Just another reason why adults should work with the kids in building the cars. The stuff they could get exposed to can have a powerful impact well beyond pinewood derby
Man now that's Cool about the things your nephew is making with a CNC machine to make life better for the disabled davet!

I my self have never used a CNC machine for any woodworking projects.. ( some day maybe I'll get the chance to try one out!)
My aunt was a Jerry Lewis mda poster child.. she loved teaching, her favorite hobby was art work & painting sea shore type paintings.
As a kid watching her paint her paintings.. is beyond words for me now as an adult.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

whoda,
about watching your aunt paint: There used to be a guy on PBS that painted pics on his show. He was very soft-spoken with dark curly hair. I could watch him paint a cool pic from a blank canvas and just be awed. It was very relaxing and I wondered how he could picture that stuff in his head and translate it over to canvas. KInd of how I felt seeing your big rig.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

davet wrote:whoda,
about watching your aunt paint: There used to be a guy on PBS that painted pics on his show. He was very soft-spoken with dark curly hair. I could watch him paint a cool pic from a blank canvas and just be awed. It was very relaxing and I wondered how he could picture that stuff in his head and translate it over to canvas. KInd of how I felt seeing your big rig.
You referring to the incomparable Bob Ross? His afro will live on in our memories forever. ;)

https://youtu.be/
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

That's him VK. I may have to Youtube him for the kids.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

davet, Funny you should say something about the big rigs I make!

I don't know if you recall the semi truck I said i'd like to make some day on this topic from a8htk or not.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8233&p=79148&hilit ... 24a#p79148

Tyrone Malone's Super Boss
Here's a pick of some AMT models .. the Papa Truck for transport hauling.. and the Super Boss truck.
I'v been working on drawing out a pattern for making the Super Boss truck.
However to keep truck in it's true scale it's only a 10" long truck. (It looks out of place in a longer scale.)
It's to bad there is not a ( class c ) at Mid America for racing this type of truck at 10 inches long with dual back wheels.
I don't think it would run to well with the longer class B semi truck's.. Any how i'm going to give the build a go soon.
Who know's I may even build 2 trucks.. the Super Boss & the Bandag Bandit truck seen in the link I posted way above on Andy's topic.
I would be just a matter of losing the air foils over the front fenders and hood and changing up the headlights and exhaust pipes and the paint job for the Bandag Bandit truck.
Last edited by whodathunkit on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

You know, I came back this year to see if VitaminK went with lights like he mentioned last season. I'm impressed to see what he came up with. Now, I'm watching for your next Big Rig Whoda!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Yeah! VK's car with the lights will be cool looking just from seeing his post about it.

Say davet!
I could watch Stan Gurr.. build his semi trucks all day long..
I"m no ware close to the skills he has in making his trucks or to the hours he puts in..in making them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf3M3ZB5Is

Whoda.
davet
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davet »

Well, to bring this full circle back to your original post in this thread: No way Stan Gurr would ever think of using that CNC machine. Incredible talent. Stan said in that story that he sees what he wants to build in his mind and knows just how to build it. Just like a painter or sculptor...he's a real artist.

You got your sites set on him Whoda?
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

No!
I just like the way his hand crafted trucks look in the end with everything he uses to to make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk