PineDesign - any feedback

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
PW Grasshopper
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

PineDesign - any feedback

Post by PW Grasshopper »

Has anyone used the PineDesign software to evaluate their car? Was it helpful in finding flaws and recommending improvements :?:
metamorph
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: PineDesign - any feedback

Post by metamorph »

PWG,

I have not used the software yet. I purchase a copy and have it installed. It looks very promising. Ii am hoping to start using it on some test cars in the next few weeks.
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

PWG, if you have spent much time on this site, I don't think you will find any surprises in the Pine Design analysis of your cars. I was not impressed. If you already get the COG rearward, lift one wheel, prep your wheels and axles, you've pretty much covered what Pine design will suggest. If you are a relative newbie to Pinewood car design, it might be helpful.
PW Grasshopper
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PW Grasshopper »

Thanks for the feedback, PWTom. We are relative newbs. Last year was our first derby. Thanks to this board, a lot of hard work, and patients from my wife, we did fairly well. My boy was thrilled to have come in 2nd for his den.

Decent alignment remains a major challenge (even with good tools, table testing and shims). More practice to refine technique is needed.

An S shaped track makes our COG closer to the middle from what I have read.

Anyway, thanks again for your opinion!
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

PWG, I just checked and Pine Design does not handle S-shaped tracks. In fact, it doesn't ask anything at all about the track (long, short, wood, aluminum, etc). That was part of my disappointment. Much of the discussion here is for 32-ft wooden tracks. We have a 46-ft aluminum track and I was really looking for help in placing the COG.
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

We used it this past PWD season. I think it really helped determine the best combo of wheels and their placement (front/back/left/right). I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. We will continue to use it. Hope that helps.
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!
ranman106
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ranman106 »

PW Grasshopper wrote: Decent alignment remains a major challenge (even with good tools, table testing and shims). More practice to refine technique is needed.
We have had the same problem. Last season, we used the Pro-Body Tool 2 and the Pro-Axle Press
http://www.maximum-velocity.com/special ... s.htm#Body
from Max V along with our drill press. :dance: This greatly improved our alignment! All wheels were in the same plane and only needed minor adjustments! We will use it again!
The Wedge - It's not a doorstop, it's a way of life!