Pro-Wheel Shaver From Maximum Velocity

From pinewood derby car designs to a kits, wheels, decals and more, Maximum Velocity has everything you need to win your pinewood derby car race.

Moderator: MaxV

MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Pro-Wheel Shaver From Maximum Velocity

Post by MaxV »

Pro-Wheel Shaver

Sanding the wheels on a wheel mandrel polishes the tread surface, but it does not significantly change the shape of the wheel. In fact, to truly create round wheels, a lathe is required. However, this expensive machine is not a practical solution for the casual pinewood derby car builder.

But now anyone can create round pinewood derby wheels. Introducing the Pro-Wheel Shaver, a precision device that will improve the speed of your pinewood derby car by:
  • Wheel Diameter Truing - Creating a wheel which is perfectly round, and true to the wheel bore.
  • Wheel Width Truing - Truing the inside edge of the wheel, removing molding marks and excess material.
Click here for photo instructions

Click here to purchase
MERuhl
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Pro-Wheel Shaver From Maximum Velocity

Post by MERuhl »

Randy - I notice on the webpage that this tool is not recommended for the Awana wheels, due to the soft plastic they're made of. How do you recommend working on Awana wheels?
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

Awana wheels tend to be more true than many other wheel types, so you can just polish them and go.

However, for best performance they can be trued with a lathe. Due to the nature of the plastic, the edge must be cut after the tread. So, make the final pass on the tread from the outside of the wheel to the inside. This ensures that the outside edge is in good shape. Then use the lathe to trim the inside edge.

If you are interested, I can provide lathed sets of Awana Wheels. Please send an e-mail for a quote.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

I tried out the Pro-Wheel Shaver yesterday on some #14 mold cavity BSA wheels. I picked this cavity number as they are pretty bad off to start with. I ran two through the whole process and kept two as a comparison. There was a vast difference between the ones I worked with the Pro-Wheel Shaver and the original ones. I'd say that if you don't have a powered lathe to true your wheels on that this is a cost effective alternative. You don't have the run-out that you do on drills and drill presses and it is a lot safer for the boys to use. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Some things I ran into:
The Pro-Wheel Shaver fits very tight to the Pro-Hub Tool. So much so that I had to try and spread the nothced part to get it to move. As I read the instructions before I started [I realise that this is a new concept for men, but you ought to try it! :lol: ] I went ahead and marked up the Pro-Hub Tool at the distances shown for each step. I had used a sharpie pen to do so but the Pro-Shaver fit so tight that it obliterated the lines. Maybe I should have put some NyeOil on the Pro-Hub Tool so the Pro Shaver would slide on it with minimal friction...
The Pro-Wheel Shaver is intended for adult use as it requires adult hand strength to loosen and tighten the adjustment bolts and to turn the wheels.

This is an understatment as the cutting blade was very hard to tighten. So much so that I was afraid I was going to bend the whole Pro Shaver Tool.

The cutting blade was hard to set so that it cut even (I used a square to check it with) and yet would be set low enough to remove material. Some of this gets back to it being so hard to tighten the cutting blade. I'm guessing that this would have been easier with another person helping but my derby partner was inside with the flu. :( The nice thing about this is that once you have the blade set, you can run each wheel through that setting before having to reset it.

If you have big or arthritic hands, it sure is hard to turn those little wheels in one setting. This is another plus as you can walk away and eat dinner before coming back to finish them up.

The two wheels I did looked good on the tread surface when prepared according to the instructions. Of course I couldn't leave it at that and since I had the Pro Shaver set to it's last pass position, I thought "isn't that just enough clearance to get a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper through?" I found that if you rotate the wheel while holding on to the sandpaper, it does a very good job of sanding the tread surface even smoother. You don't have to worry about rounding the edges of the wheel (illeagal for some of us) or if you are sanding the tread perpendicular to the wheel bore. Just a thought that you may want to include in your instructions Randy.

:?: A question here: with all the turning that a wheel goes through in this process, should some type of lubricant be used to keep from damaging the wheel bore? I ask as I noticed some plastic residue in the bore of one of the wheels when I was done. I also ask this as I have this bottle of NyeOil that I can't use for racing and with what liitle bit I have used it, that bottle will last me 1,000 years!

Just some thoughts on this valuable tool from Da Graphite Kid!
:mrgreen:

Next test - son of Da Graphite Kid tests the Pro Tools out!
Beecher
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Beecher »

I also purchased the wheel shaver and pro-hub tool. It's definately a handy little device. The only complaint I have is that I cant tighten the blade in the slot enough where it doesnt move a little bit, thus it prevents me from making sure the blade remains parallel to the hub bore.
DMWOOD
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DMWOOD »

I had the same problem. I found that using a hack saw to cut the slot deeper in the aluminum angle took care of the problem. Also make sure the screw is not binding in the hole.

I found that tapering the flat cutting edge on the blade to provide a relief angle helped the blade cut better.

Hope this helps.
DMWOOD
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DMWOOD »

This is a great tool but you need to practice with it to learn how you can do the best job on the wheels. I have made many shavings with mine practicing on all the "Worst" Wheels (13, 14, & 16). I always do them in sets so that when I am done I will have a matched set of wheels.

This tool is hand powered so you don't have to worry about burning up a wheel while working on it. I also think this tool is good because it uses the wheel contact surfaces as a referance point for cutting. The distance from the nail/wheel contact point to the ground are the same as from the Pro Hub Tool/wheel contact point to the Pro Wheel Shaver blade.

I decided to test how round the last set of wheels were that I did. I clamped down Pro Hub tool to spin the wheels on and I used a magnetic stand along with a dial indicator. I found the wheels to be +/- .00025 inches or .0005 total indicator reading. I tried to use the digital Starret indicator but it is only accurate to .0005 inches and would only register when set to read total indicator reading.

I am happy with this product but just make sure to adjust things properly before you start cutting so you make the most accurate set of wheels.
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

Beecher wrote:I also purchased the wheel shaver and pro-hub tool. It's definately a handy little device. The only complaint I have is that I cant tighten the blade in the slot enough where it doesnt move a little bit, thus it prevents me from making sure the blade remains parallel to the hub bore.
Had the same problem, even funnier, I spent a few days turning the wheel the wrong direction, I could not figure out how people were using this tool that so much work and hours for just one tire... My 8 year old turned it the other way and it almost finished my wheel in 2 or 3 turns... Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself...
Pinewood Performance
www.pinewood-performance.com
http://pinewoodp.proboards29.com (The other Pinewood Message Boards)