New Product from BestTrack-The Lift Kit

Manufacturers of BestTrack aluminum tracks, The Champ timers and the DragMaster light tree.

Moderator: BestTrack

BestTrack
Merchant
Merchant

New Product from BestTrack-The Lift Kit

Post by BestTrack »

We are happy to announce that our latest product is now available, the "Lift Kit" for BestTrack Pinewood Derby Tracks.

http://www.besttrack.com/lift_kit.htm

The BestTrack Lift Kit elevates your track about 18" off of the floor allowing better viewing of the race from all angles.

Our Lift Kit consists of easily attached aluminum legs that spin on or off in seconds. Each straight section has four legs to stand independently. Legs can be positioned anywhere along the length of the straight sections.

Lift Kits are available in three sizes for the three different length tracks we sell.
sprntrcr

Re: New Product from BestTrack-The Lift Kit

Post by sprntrcr »

Excellent. I've been thinking about ways to elevate the track, but have not come up with anything that is as simple and portable as this. Nice addition. How is the stability of the track now?

If the legs only had levelers in them.:idea: I know, never satisfied. :wink:
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

Anybody add this to their track? I'm getting ready to order it for our track and was just wondering what people's experience has been.

Thanks,
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pack529holycross »

sprntrcr wrote:Anybody add this to their track? I'm getting ready to order it for our track and was just wondering what people's experience has been.

Thanks,
I would say that for the added cost it is an indespensible component of their track system, for the following reasons:

1. it makes the track easier to see - raising the track surface allows spectators to easily see the track, as well as judges...

2. it makes the track safer - the possibility of a scout being tempted to step over a track is all but eliminated when it is elevated

3. putting the track together is easier with the risers - setting up and breaking down no longer requires you to be on the floor or fully bending over... great for us old guys. additionally, as you are in the process of assembly or breakdown, the track sections are still elevated and protected from incedental shoe abuse
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

Thanks for the feedback. We were definitely sold on getting the lift kit for your reasons 1 & 3 (we have a buffer zone between the track and scouts so #2 is not as big a concern for us).

I just wanted to make sure there were no "gotchas" with it. I didn't expect it to as we have been very pleased with the Best Track products. But it wouldn't have been the first time I've bought something that looked great and it turned out as garbage, so just thought I'd ask.

Looking forward to getting the kit, I know I'lll appreciate it during assembly and I know the spectators will truly enjoy the added visibility.

Thanks.....
3 Cub Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 3 Cub Dad »

Not to throw too much of a damper on the riser system....

Personally, I love Best track and it's what we race on. Two things to consider about the riser.

First, in raising the track, you're also raising the start gate. This means you need a platform or stepladder to climb-up to stage the cars!

Second, we had to fabricate, and connect, stabilizer bars both crosswise and lengthwise between the legs to give it stability. Otherwise, small bumps seemed to thow it off alignment. This takes away from the speed of set-up.

I will say it is awesome having the track raised for the race, just be aware.

3CubDad
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

3 Cub Dad wrote:First, in raising the track, you're also raising the start gate. This means you need a platform or stepladder to climb-up to stage the cars!

Second, we had to fabricate, and connect, stabilizer bars both crosswise and lengthwise between the legs to give it stability. Otherwise, small bumps seemed to thow it off alignment. This takes away from the speed of set-up.
Those are my two concerns with the riser system as well.

We have raised our track using tables in the past, but this was in conjunction with the start section being up on a stage, so we didn't have a problem loading cars. The tables were adjustable, so we could match the height of the stage. Seeing as the track riser system is not adjustable, then it may not be likely to put the start section up on a stage, so as you pointed out, you'd need a ladder or platform in order to load cars.

I had also been wondering if this system would provide enough stability for the track. My concerns being that a bump to the track may cause section misalignment (seeing as the sections are not securely fastened to each other) and that the operation of the start gate and/or the motion of the cars down the track may cause vibrations in the track affecting run times. I have not had experience with these risers, so I cannot say personally that those are issues to worry about or not. However, if you felt the need to add stabilizer cross bars, then maybe that is something that people should consider before buying this system.

I do very much like having the track raised up for audience viewing (as long as you can do so and make it stable). Though, something else to consider is if a car jumps its lane (for whatever reason) that it may tumble to the ground, risking significant damage. Maybe there should be a set of bumpers for the sides of the track to help prevent that (whether using these risers or using tables). Maybe that is the next product for the track manufacturers to come out with (hint hint).
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

I have no experience with BestTrack or with their Lift Kit, but both our current track and our old track have been raised.

I like having a raised track for all the reasons previously mentioned. And even with a buffer zone that the kids are supposed to stay out of, elevating the track helps discourage kids (and some adults) from stepping over the track.

I don't really like building the legs into the track, the way our tracks have been built. If I were to build another track, I'd build several short narrow tables and rest a normal track on them.

Yes, raising the track also raises the start gate. We have an impartial adult stage the cars, but that adult has to stand on a platform to reach the starting gate. If you have kids stage their own cars, then you'll need a platform they can climb easily.

Our track has side walls that contain runaway cars, although I don't remember the last time we had a car derail. If we had a track supported by short narrow tables, then I'd build the side walls into the tables.

My $0.02...
RMoose
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by RMoose »

That's a neat idea! Glad to see BestTrack being innovative and coming out with some accessories for their tracks!
However, I do wonder if the cost of the risers + stabilizer bars (if needed) make it more cost effective to just build or purchase some low tables to set up a regular track on?
You would need a platform to reach the start gate in either case, but tables may lower the risk of damage if a car came off an elevated track.
We are Ambassadors for Christ
beakerboysracing
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by beakerboysracing »

Got a tip the other day from Mr. Slick about lift kit. Instructions say to space the lift kit uprights 3 inches from the end of each section. Mr. Slick suggested spacing them 21 inches from the ends of the sections. This gives you 42 inches in between uprights. I did it to mine and it made the track a whole lot more stable and I think (don't know yet because haven't leveled, still assembling) will make it easier to adjust level. Looks better too.

Scott

Beakerboys