Snake Oil On The Track

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
jpturner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Snake Oil On The Track

Post by jpturner »

A golf author who I enjoy reading immensely is Harvey Penick, his original work being his "Little Red Book." In one piece, Penick pokes fun at the gullibilty of golfers leading to the purchasing of new golf clubs and training aids.

It strikes me, we're often guilty of the same thing in pinewood derby racing. I'm as guilty as the rest. But really, think before you spend your hard earned money on a specialty tool or product. I actually bought one of the "body tool" kits on the internet (essentially a big metal U with two holes on opposing sides for drilling axle holes), and the two holes on opposing sides didn't match up (they were crooked). This product, marketed to increasing the true placement of axle holes, if used, would have guaranteed the opposite! Trust you gut and your skill, you'll do better than you think.

Good luck racing.

Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Snake Oil On The Track

Post by Stan Pope »

Hmmm ... what did seller say when you returned it?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Post by MaxV »

I actually bought one of the "body tool" kits on the internet (essentially a big metal U with two holes on opposing sides for drilling axle holes), and the two holes on opposing sides didn't match up (they were crooked).
The Pro-Body Tool is sold as a highly accurate drilling guide. There have been a few (less than 0.1%) parts that were shipped with the holes misdrilled. These have been quickly replaced when the customer notified us of the problem.

I have contacted JPTurner (the writer of the above quote) to arrange an exchange or refund.
Gavin Chafin
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gavin Chafin »

jpturner wrote:A golf author who I enjoy reading immensely is Harvey Penick, his original work being his "Little Red Book." In one piece, Penick pokes fun at the gullibilty of golfers leading to the purchasing of new golf clubs and training aids.

It strikes me, we're often guilty of the same thing in pinewood derby racing. I'm as guilty as the rest. But really, think before you spend your hard earned money on a specialty tool or product. I actually bought one of the "body tool" kits on the internet (essentially a big metal U with two holes on opposing sides for drilling axle holes), and the two holes on opposing sides didn't match up (they were crooked). This product, marketed to increasing the true placement of axle holes, if used, would have guaranteed the opposite! Trust you gut and your skill, you'll do better than you think.

Good luck racing.

I have found all of the "Pro" tools to be of very high quality. I've also found that Max-V sells quality stuff and would never knowingly sell "snake oil." I think you may have fallen in the .1%
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

A golf author who I enjoy reading immensely is Harvey Penick, his original work being his "Little Red Book." In one piece, Penick pokes fun at the gullibilty of golfers leading to the purchasing of new golf clubs and training aids.
I have that book on cassette tape, which is read by Jack Whitaker. There is a part on Harvey helping a women golfer which is just hillarious when you have Jack Whitaker reading it. (I won't describe any further)

Away from that, I think the Pro Body Tool is awesome, and probably the most helpful specialty tool to own. Better than my drill press.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
jpturner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jpturner »

The point of the post is not to complain about online retailers of speed aides, and was NOT directed to, or a shot at Randy @ Max V or his site.

I believe Maximum Velocity is one of the best sites on the web for scouting out pinewood help and products, and my review is not of a pinewood product sold by Randy or his company. These products are all over the web and eBay.

The point is many of us are inclined, irrationally in many cases, to want to believe that just like a new golf driver will get us 10 extra yards off the tee, a speed aid will get us 1 extra second at the finish line. Nine times out of ten we're better served by our common sense and the well thought out tips which appear in this forum.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

First off Mr. Turner, let me apologize for the fact that you received a defective Pro Body Tool. As the patent holder and manufacturer of the Pro Tool line I take all input both positive and negative quite seriously and I am sure that Randy Davis will remedy the problem rather quickly.

As a side note, I have been in sales, marketing and manufacturing for over 18 years and Randy Davis of Maximum Velocity is one of the most serious, quality oriented people that I have had the opportunity to work with. If the Pro Tool Line did not work or was of no benefit to the customers, he would not sell it. Believe me, he has shot me down on a couple of items.

I do take a bit of offence to you referring to the tools as "Snake oil". I developed these tools as an aid to father and son teams who do not have the advantage of lathes and drill presses, kind of a way to help "level the playing field" and for the real pineheads to "raise the bar". This hobby has been rather stale and dominated by machinists for over 40 years, until now the only new thing has been decal kits! If you look through this forum, you will find positive feed back on the tools all over, to those posters, I say Thank-You, your encouragement keeps me motivated and a bit proud of my new creations. I am also proud that I have been able to find American machinists to do this project with me and keep up with the growing demands on CNC lathes and CNC mills here in the good old U.S.A.!!!! And yes, their defect rate is incredibly low!!!

Yes, you see the products on several other sites and once in a while on E-bay. As with any other growing product, I have expanded my distribution to other retailers and I even get calls from Hobby Shops wanting to sell my products. Yes, they are becoming asked for and you will see a few new things next year also, but if they don't simplify construction, improve performance, or pass Randy, you will not see them.

So to you Mr. Turner, I extend this apology, but we do not create "Snake oil" in the PWD industry like the Golf industry.

Best Regards

Bill Launius

Businessman
Father of a Scout & MX racer
Manufacturer
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Hmmm... maybe it is time to move on to another subject...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Richard
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Richard »

jpturner,
Hey man I feel for you. Sounds like you were had and were trying to blow off a little steam. Honestly I thought you were talking about Maxv in your first post. I was relieved to scroll down to your second post and see that this was not the case at all. That's why I love this site though, we all try to keep each other up to date on what has merit and what is a ripoff. :doh:

MaxV & Racer X,
This post is probably the best thing that has ever happened to you. When I first found Maximum Velocity I was skeptical, since I had seen so many outrages claims on other sites. After reviewing the site, reading the Derby Times, and your guys' posts on this site I realized that you did know what you were talking about, but wasn't sure if I really needed your tools though. After seeing how quickly people came to the defense of your products however, I'm convinced and will be ordering this year. If your customers have that much faith I will too. :)