BSA Colored Wheels...

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Fatdaddy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: BSA Colored Wheels...

Post by Fatdaddy »

Nitro Dan wrote:Unfortunately there are no districts or council races in our part of PA. I've discussed with them about possibly hosting a district race, but a race of that size would take all our resources to host and all it would be benefiting is 3 or 4 kids who qualified from our pack. Because of this, we can't seem to justify it. If there was some advantage from the district for hosting this type of event, I think more packs would be willing to give it a try.

-Nitro Dan
Our district derby is a HUGE fundraising event for the troop that runs it. I know our local Nuclear power plant sponsors it, and they sell food and drinks. From what our district director tells us, it brings in loads of cash for them.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

We had our Derby on Saturday 01/10/09 and, at inspection, I asked if we would have been allowed to use the wheels, and presented an unopened package of yellow wheels. I was told, without hesitation, that they would have resulted in a disqualification. I am preparing a submission to the pack leader to have the rule modified for next year to allow the wheels. Hope this leads everyone to check before using the new wheels.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

BlackLotus wrote:We had our Derby on Saturday 01/10/09 and, at inspection, I asked if we would have been allowed to use the wheels, and presented an unopened package of yellow wheels. I was told, without hesitation, that they would have resulted in a disqualification.
And the reason would have been what?
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

The reason given was that they do not meet the rules as written:

"Axles and wheels shall be only as provided in the Official Grand Prix Pinewwld Derby Kit"

Since they are not available in the kit, you may not use them except as decoration. I will volunteer to provide a package of each color for inspection to make sure they are not a speed advantage and hope that this rule is modified for next year.
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

I'd like to think that:

a) Your PWD judges were aware of the colored wheels,
b) Can see it says BSA on the wheels.

Strict adherence to the kit wheels is detrimental.

Congrats to your son on his win, BlackLotus.
WikiWiki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by WikiWiki »

I am in the process of updating our rules for an upcomming race. I included the colored wheels as legal. We'll see how the review and approval goes.

I think the kids will find then fun.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

WikiWiki wrote:I am in the process of updating our rules for an upcomming race. I included the colored wheels as legal. We'll see how the review and approval goes.
There are other colored wheels on the market, so make sure to still specify that they must be BSA wheels.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

I just shot off an email to the cubmaster requesting that they review the rule and consider a modification for next year (this gives them a full year to review) and linked it to the BSA store with the wheels. Hopefully we can use them next year.
BlackLotus
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BlackLotus »

I just got word back from our cub master. They haven't decided if they will change the rule as it is written or add an exception, but they have agreed that the colored wheels will be allowed for next years race.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

I haven't posted the pics but I was kinda bummed about the color wheels. My 3 y.o. wanted one of each wheel on his car but he also wanted to win a trophy. So, I burnished the bores and rubbed graphite on the wheel edge and inner hub. As a result, as you can imagine, the wheels ended up fairly dirty looking. I didn't try anything to clean them. I figure I can try that after the races this weekend. Of course, our red paint got fairly dirty as well. Of course, the 3 y.o. doesn't care one bit and he can't wait to race the car. I guess that's all that matters.