Carson Optical digital microscope on sale

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Jeff Piazza
Pine Head
Pine Head

Carson Optical digital microscope on sale

Post by Jeff Piazza »

Just came across this today, buy.com has the Carson Optical MM-740 zPix 200 digital microscope on sale for $50.

http://www.buy.com/prod/carson-optical- ... 18860.html

I don't have any experience with this particular model, but I have found a digital microscope to be really useful for giving presentations on wheel and axle prep.

The reviews appear to be somewhat mixed. Some of the more positive reviews emphasize the importance of reading the instructions to operate the software effectively, which may explain some of the negative reviews.

Interestingly, they provide both Windows and Mac software.

/JEP
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Carson Optical digital microscope on sale

Post by FatSebastian »

My son got one of these as a Christmas present. There is a circular array of white LEDs around the imaging lens for illuminating the imaged object from the top. The LEDs seem to give images slightly unnatural color IMO. It takes okay shots of axles but we have not figured out how to image the inside of the wheel bore, which probably requires backlighting of some kind and the ability to tilt the wheel a bit under the scope to image the sides of the bore. So we're still experimenting...