Revell Derby Products Review

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Revell Derby Products Review

Post by tgrimstead »

(The review is my own personal opinion as a consumer. Myself or the forum does not endorse any particular brand of product.)
While December brings visions of presents, snow and twinkling lights into people’s minds. My head fills with thoughts of shiny nails, band saws, and weight placement, as any derby dad would a month away from the “Big Day”. Needless to say I was in derby mode! So when the wife and I stopped by a Michaels craft store and I saw the new BSA / Revell display, I was drawn like a moth to a flame. They had everything. Wheels, body kits, axle presses, body tools, graphics, axle polishing sets! I started browsing and grabbed an axle press and body tool for $12.99 each. Did I need them? No, I had my own already. But I had a workshop coming up and having two at the stations could alleviate back up. (This was my excuse to the wife.)
The axle alignment tool was anodized an attractive red and came with a #44 bit. It also had a slot in the back with a bolt that would allow you to attach two of them to a ruler and make a jig. The axle press was chromed and looked very similar to the Derby Worx one I had purchased off the web. Both had instructions on the back on their uses. On closer inspection of the axle press, I found that it was obvious the two pieces were not machined together. It had a small channel to hold the nail and would not fully encase a nail when inserted. This actually allowed a severally bent nail to stick outside of the channel when hammering. The nail head beveling portion did not work well either, mainly due to its inability to hold the nail correctly.

Disappointed with the axle press I was more pleased with the axle alignment tool. The inner width measured in at 1 ¾ inch on the caliper and included the raised axle hole on the back to make a three wheeler. I particularly think the clamping portion on the back is a nice feature. The included bit appears to me a little smaller and noticed the drill bit bores slightly tighter holes then my current #44 bit. Over all I was very pleased with this product and it makes up for the less then stellar performance of the axle press. It is nice to see that these type of derby specific tools are available to the masses. Not to mention the convenience of being able to get official BSA products if you're not near a Council store.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Revell Derby Products Review

Post by rpcarpe »

And they are eerily similar to the original Derby Worx products. I probably won't buy any of these, this year. Maybe next year for comparison only. Even better, get one of the other parents to try them out!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I won't be buying any or supporting revell ! I feel all they have done is try and clone derbyworx tools. I feel it is wrong and can not support revell for this.

Months ago when Brian from revell contacted me and was offering and said he would send me samples and stuff to test for them. He disappeared along with his promises.

I do not typically ever favor one mfg or vendor over another. But in this case, I just feel what revell did or is doing is not right.

Sporty
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

Yup, I think that Revell saw a growing market of involved parents that will spend on specialized tools and decided they wanted some of that. Heck, Derby Worx already did the hard work of Research & Development... now Revell wants to cash in on it. I guess that can't have that many original ideas?!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
tgrimstead
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by tgrimstead »

They are definitely knock offs. You can see the slight difference in the Axle Press. That and the shallow channel due to poor machining. It is made in China :burningmad:
The review and more picks were forwarded to Derby Worx. -Tim
slipperyfrog
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by slipperyfrog »

After reading this over I have to agree. Pretty shady work by Revell. Sad to see the bigger companies just go for a quick buck by copying ideas and shipping the work to China. I will not touch their products.
http://www.solarartgraphics.com
SolarArt Graphics & Window Tint
dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

Sad to see a classic American hobby get outsourced to China.

:/
Lucky13
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Lucky13 »

dstory wrote:Sad to see a classic American hobby get outsourced to China.

:/

So True !!

The Revell Official BSA wheels are now being made in China as well :burningmad: !! So if you are buying replacement wheel set from Revell and you notice they are in the same type of container with a new style lid, check the label...I bet it says Made In China. I got a few sets the other day and the quality is terrible. Murph got some as well and has done testing with them and he said the same thing...junk !!

Lucky 13
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

I used the Revell axle press and it is definitely an inferior product. It is very hard not to damage the axle head and shaft because the channel and head are rough. I gave it away.

My boys also used Revell's paint kit, and the paint was horrible. I tried it with a couple different primers and it just wouldn't stick. So far all of thier products seem inferior.

The only reason I bought thier products was because there is a Michael's in my town and with thier 40% off coupons they are cheap. You get what you pay for.
MOFAST
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MOFAST »

Was at a neighbor's house (fellow pinehead) and he had a new Revell axle alignment tool. I had an unused revell pine block. THE BLOCK WOULD NOT FIT IN THE TOOL! The tool was fine but the block was a 16th of an inch too wide. I thought it was hilarious!

I have a new to me scroll saw that I practiced on the pine block.
5kidsracing
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by 5kidsracing »

My friend bought a pwd block from Revell for his Son's build this year and it was awful. I don't mean it was a little out of square... it was warped and twisted. If you placed it on a flat surface it had over a 1/16" gap in the middle of the block and it rocked.
For my "Pinewood Story" go to: http://5kidsracing.webs.com/index.htm