Renting Out My Track Six Lane Track For Business

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Renting Out My Track Six Lane Track For Business

Post by Scoremaker »

I would like some question back on how would I go on getting this going. I have all the information down already like price and rules of renting my track, and business cards. Can I call the BSA Council in my area letting them know I have a six lane track for rent?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Renting Out My Track Six Lane Track For Business

Post by FatSebastian »

Scoremaker wrote:...how would I go on getting this going.
:thinking: This is an interesting question.

If I were in this situation, I would first try to identify my potential customer base so I could market my services to them. Those desiring a six-lane track would likely be larger groups with the enough resources (money) to make track rental cost effective. Three use cases comes to mind...

1. Large units without any track. This is likely to be an unusual situation. If they exist, then they probably already use some kind of track-rental service, so you may have competition to beat.

2. Large units that have outgrown their existing track.

3. District-wide or council-wide derbies. Districts and/or councils usually do not own their own tracks and must borrow and/or rent. Use the internet to identify the districts in your council and their web pages, calendars, etc. Attend the district roundtables and/or pow-wows in your area and quietly market your services to the district events coordinator and unit leadership that attend district meetings.

Consider donating use of your track to some needy group or event to establish community goodwill in exchange for advertising your services or getting a letter of recommendation. Consider church groups and/or Boy Scouts troops that may only run derbies very infrequently.

Finally, it is not clear if you are just "renting out a track" or you are offering a more complete race-management experience. There is likely a very limited market for six-lane track rental. However, if you can offer delivery, set up, tear down, and total race management services (i.e., equitable lane scheduling for a six-lane track, etc.) you will likely have much broader interest. Even units that own a track might be willing to pay someone else to manage their race once in a while so they can just kick back and enjoy.
BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by BallBoy »

The council I live in publishes a list of people that rent out pinewood derby tracks. The list is available at the council offices and at Scout stores in the area. Also, at roundtable there is usually a flyer or two for people offering tracks for rent, so that may be an option for you.

You might also want to consider local, free online classifieds as a way to market your track. Such websites typically rank high on search engines. If you have the know-how you could create a website to make yourself more visible. Try googling 'Pinewood Derby Track Rental' to find several websites around the country to see what other people have done. Having a website and making it easy to find are two different things, so I stress having the know-how if you go down this route.

I also echo FS's comments above about clarifying whether you are simply renting a track or offer a full race management package.
Scoremaker
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Scoremaker »

[quote="FatSebastian"]can offer delivery, set up, tear down, and total race management services (i.e., equitable lane scheduling for a six-lane track, etc.) you will likely have much broader interest. Even units that own a track might be willing to pay someone else to manage their race once in a while so they can just kick back and enjoy.[/quote] I do have a price list for my service, and running the whole race's.[quote="BallBoy"]The council I live in publishes a list of people that rent out pinewood derby tracks. The list is available at the council offices and at Scout stores in the area. Also, at roundtable there is usually a flyer or two for people offering tracks for rent, so that may be an option for you. [/quote] I'll be calling Council office tomorrow to see what I need to do to offer my service and business. If there anyone in the Fort Worth area needing help with there Pinewood Derby let me know I can send you information on the price and rule's