Pro Wheel Shaver

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
PinewoodPerformance
Merchant
Merchant

Pro Wheel Shaver

Post by PinewoodPerformance »

Anyone use this and have good luck? I am trying to figure out how to keep the blade at the same angle when I adjust the depth any tips?
DR Pine
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Pro Wheel Shaver

Post by DR Pine »

They are working on improvements for this but until then use a machinist square to verify shaver blade alignment.
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

Square the blade to the rear of the slot.

When making your cuts, don,t go crazy with material removal, you may have to go through the wheel set 3-4 times, but this will make sure they are all the same.

Try this: set the blade at the height you like, shave the first wheel, loosen the bolt that holds the Pro Wheel Shaver to the Pro Hub Tool and rock it back to change wheels. This ensures the same blade setting on each wheel.

With a little practice, you will be able to get wheels with-in +- .001"

Good luck, you will get it.
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.
DMWOOD
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DMWOOD »

I also use a square off the back side of the angle to square up the blade but I never move the blade until I have done all the wheels in my set. This way all the wheels will be the same except for the difference in bore diameter.

I put pressure on the wheel to push it toward the blade while I am turning. I keep turning until the shavings stop. On a small bore wheel it will fit tight on the Pro-Hub tool so the wheel may still be tight aginst the blade. I use a twisting motion to get the wheel off so I don't leave a line from the blade on the wheel. On a big bore wheel there may be some clearence between the wheel and the blade which will make it easier to get off. I still use a twisting motion while taking the wheel off.

Take some time and practice with it and you will get good.

Racer X, Any hints on what changes we can expect for the next version??
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

Are you planning any tools for coning the body too? Or are you going to let people use that dremel bit?
RACER X
Merchant
Merchant

Post by RACER X »

DMWOOD wrote:Racer X, Any hints on what changes we can expect for the next version??
I am going to hold tight on the new stuff for now, but if all of the proto work goes well, there will be 3 new tools for the up-comming season.

As far as a tool that will cone the body, that can be done easily, I just have not recieved any requests or feed-back on that on that, everyone seems very happy with the job the Pro Hub tool does. It is so even and round, it usually goes unnoticed. I don't hear of many people who's group ban hub coning myself.

How about some feedback on the coning rule and who is using body coning?
Driver of #9 "The Shooting Star"

I would like to thank my sponsors: Dremel Tool, House of Kolor paints, Craftsman Tools, Derby Worx Pro Tools & Derby Worx Pro Wheels, Micro Finish & sand paper and 3M tape.