PRECUT KITS BY FUNRISE.

Other commercial providers of derby and regatta related goods and services can show off their wares, announce new products and/or advertise their website. Members can also discuss derby and regatta products/services here as well.
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

PRECUT KITS BY FUNRISE.

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

I JUST PICKED UP A NEW PRECUT KIT AT TARGET TO DAY.IT IS CALLED PINEWOOD HOT ROD RACERS.I GOT THE HOT ROD MODEL KIT. IT HAS BSA TYPE WHEELS WITHOUT THE LOGOS ON THE OUTSIDE.IT ALSO COMES WITH TWO PIECES OF USELESS SAND PAPER, DRY TRANSFER STICKERS & COOL PLASTIC ENGINE. IT ALSO HAS SIDE PIPES, WINDSCREEN HEADLIGHTS & A FRONT GRILL WITCH DOSENT LOOK TOO BAD.IT EVEN COMES BRAKE OFF WEIGHTS AND I GUESS TEFLON LUBE CAUSE IT LOOKS A LITTLE YELLOW. FOR ONLY 5 BUCKS AND SOME CHANGE YOU CAN GET A LOT.I DO NOT LIKE PRECUT CARS BECAUSE I HAVE TO WORK WITH SOMEBODY ELSES DESIGNE AND BEND IT TO MY WILL. HOPFULY IT WILL LOOK THE WAY I WANT IT TO. BUT I GOT TO ADD A LOT OF WOOD TO IT FOR FENDERS AND SUCH TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE A 1940'S CAR. THAN A 1920'S. :roll:
DuckBoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: PRECUT KITS BY FUNRISE.

Post by DuckBoy »

I stop by our local Target and looked at the kits today. They look pretty nice. Wish they had a plain jane wheels and block kit.

I was curious about the axels/nails. They almost look like they are casted? I didn't see any burrs or other marks on them and they had a dull gray color to them unlike BSA. Also they looked a little thicker. Just my observations looking through the box.

Might have to pick up a kit in the next week or two.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

DuckBoy wrote:I was curious about the axels/nails. They almost look like they are casted? I didn't see any burrs or other marks on them and they had a dull gray color to them unlike BSA. Also they looked a little thicker. Just my observations looking through the box.
I'll have to check them out myself. The axles may be like the Awana axles where they are machined pins and not nails. Awana axles rarely have burr issues and I believe they are slightly larger in diameter than the BSA axles. It is all speculation until I can take a look at one.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

gpraceman wrote:The axles may be like the Awana axles where they are machined pins and not nails.
That sounds like the CSB axles, too.

The wheels in the CSB kits used to be like the BSA kits, with a flat tread. Around 1990, the CSB kits switched to wheels that have a tread with a rounded cross-section, with a narrow (1/8in) flat ridge that acts as a running surface. The old wheels had a pin from the sprue that had to be removed and sanded. The new wheels don't. Actually, there's very little that you could do to improve the new wheels.

The axles have always been pins (not nails), but in recent years they've been of better quality. Before, there were ridges from the mold seams and such. Now, they need polishing, but there aren't really any "manufacturing irregularities" to speak of.
Last edited by Darin McGrew on Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckBoy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by DuckBoy »

The axles may be like the Awana axles where they are machined pins and not nails. Awana axles rarely have burr issues and I believe they are slightly larger in diameter than the BSA axles. It is all speculation until I can take a look at one.
Interesting. I was thinking these axels might be a better option than the BSA axels. If these are machined as opposed to a pinched/cut nail, I think you might get more consistent/better results.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

DuckBoy wrote:Interesting. I was thinking these axels might be a better option than the BSA axels. If these are machined as opposed to a pinched/cut nail, I think you might get more consistent/better results.
I think so, but check your rules. Often they say you must use the wheels and axles from your kit. When we run our cars that we built for our Awana race at the Pinewood Derby for our pack (same year), we have to change out wheels and axles.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I picked up one of the FunRise kits (the dragster) to get a closer look at it.

Here are my observations:
  • The axles are pins, but it looks to me that they are molded, not machined. They have many scratches along the length of the axle. It would take a lot of work to remove these and get a good polish. Around the axle head there are rough spots that would need to be filed.
  • The wheels look no worse than BSA wheels.
  • The puffer tube of lubricant has what appears to me to be dry white lithium. It is a bit gritty.
  • Everything weighed out to 5.2 ounces, so extra weight is not needed (at least for the style I bought). This can be a money saver right there, since with most cars you have to add over 2 ounces of weight. If you buy the non-lead snap-off weights, you usually have to but two packs of them at about $3 a pack.
  • The plastic parts add a nice and shiny chrome look.
  • The decals are dry transfer.
  • They supply two grits of sandpaper (60 and 240)
  • The cuts in the wood are pretty clean and the axle grooves are pretty straight. It looks like they coated the inside of the axle grooves with super glue (maybe to reinforce the groove?)
  • An instruction sheet is included, which also lists the basic rules of a derby type race as to size, weight, no bearings, etc.
Overall, it seems they made a good effort to supply you with everything that you need to put the car together, less paint and glue to secure the plastic accessories. I'm not a fan of pre-cut kits, but I am impressed with what you get for $5. For a first-timer, it would be an easy way to get indoctrinated in a race.
Randy Lisano

SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

:? THE NAILS NEED ALITTLE WORK. THE HEAD HAD SOME BURS ON THE OUTER EDGE. SINCE THE NAIL IS SET INSIDE ABOUT 1/8 INCH.THERE NOT AS HIGH DOMED AS BSA NAILS.THEY DO LOOK OUT OF PLACE WITH
PINECAR HUBS BUT DO FIT NICELYON THE AXLES. BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO SHAVE DOWN THE WITH OF THE CAR TO FIT THEM PROPERLY.THERE IS NOT ALOT OF MEAT ON THE WHEELS EVEN LESS THEN BSA OR PINE PRO. A LIGHT SAND AND THATS IT. I DO LIKE THEM BETTER THAN BSA WHEELS BECAUSE THE LOGO ON THE SIDE WALL LOOKS SO ADVERTISEY.IF THAT IS A WORD. IF THE LETTERS WHERE SMALLER AND NOT SO RAISED UP THEY WOULD BE COOL.
THEY DO HAVE A BASIC WEDGE WITCH IS CLOSE TO A BLOCK.I THINK THE KEY WORD IS PRECUT. IT IS FOR PEPOLE WITH OUT POWER TOOLS,
OR THE SKILL TO USE THEM ON SOMETHING SO SMALL. ALSO IT CAN BE GOOD FOR JR.TO KEEP HIM OR HER BIZZY WHILE BUILDING THE ULTIMIT RACER. :mrgreen:
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

I finally found the pinewood hot rods at the super target. I am not a big fan of pre-cut either, but I just could not walk by and not sneak,err...PUT it into the wifes shopping cart. :mrgreen:
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com
SPEEDBUGGY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by SPEEDBUGGY »

COOL, WITCH KIT DID YOU GET? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO IT? :roll:
Mike Parrish
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mike Parrish »

SPEEDBUGGY wrote:COOL, WITCH KIT DID YOU GET? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO IT? :roll:
I picked up the Hot Rod kit. I think I will break some edges and maybe add some fenders.

Not bad for the price!!
Race Fast-
Mike Parrish
Parrish Racing
www.derbydayz.com