Trophy designs

General race coordinator discussions.
kxjohnson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Trophy designs

Post by kxjohnson »

Our den is responsible for building this years pinewood trophies. Anyone have any cool but simple designs I could rip off?
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Trophy designs

Post by Darin McGrew »

If you take a look at commercial trophies, they're pretty simple in design. Basically, a long bolt provides the structure, and several pieces of wood, plastic, metal, etc. are threaded on the bolt, which is tightened to hold everything securely. So it shouldn't be hard to apply the same design, just choosing whatever bits you want to thread on the bolt.

If you can't find bolts of the appropriate length, you can buy threaded rod and cut it to length.

How about:
+ a square board for the base
+ a car part salvaged from somewhere
+ a narrow board that can serve as a stand for the car

Just make sure the car part is clean and non-hazardous. To make it taller, throw in a dowel or a piece of 2x2 with a hole drilled down the length.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

See Pinewood Derby Plaques
at http://members.aol.com/standcmr/plaque.html

My Webelos den did these for each member of the pack for several years. Some years I did them myself.

Includes suggested fixture designs for holding and locating
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
TDean
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TDean »

:idea: This is something I did with my Webelos Den earlier this year. I had most of the wood pre-cut (they cut the molding for the "frames" themselves) and the boys assembled ithe stands and finished them to suit their own tastes.

(This is PWD stand with a built-in photo frame and name plate -- which can serve as a trophy or just a display stand)

One of the Dads in my den was a photographer -- he brought his camera and color printer and took photos of the boys with their cars on race day.
The "ribbons" were purchased pre-cut at a craft store and spray painted gold, then I made lables for different categories (Fastest, Best Design, etc) so that each boy would have a ribbon on his trophy. These ribbons were attached with double-stick tape.

We used these photo/stands as part of our table decorations at the Blue&Gold Banquet. These were just our den trophies -- the Pack still handed out "real" trophies...

I know this photo is not too good -- if you would like a pdf that shows a schematic and instructions for making one of these, shoot me an e-mail!
(tdeanw@hotmail.com)
TDean
kxjohnson
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kxjohnson »

Thanks to all for the info!!