To Race or Not To Race?

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: To Race or Not To Race?

Post by Stan Pope »

Jungle Jim wrote:So you're saying that a smaller unit would not even actually race down the track?

And I take it here you're saying that several smaller units, i.e. with only 8-15 boys, would join forces for a "unit" derby race?
Lacking a track, the speed merits of cars could be compared in a variety of ways, with varying degrees of accuracy.

As an extreme measure, one could pair up the cars as for a double elimination race and flip a coin to determine which car won. This procedure is somewhat more accurate than the methods used in some packs, but not the "best method".

I'd rather see small units join forces to run their races... not necessarily to race against each other, but to have access to facilities. Also, they could piggyback with a larger, but not too distant, unit's derby. If they can actually race, it is better.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Jungle Jim »

Stan Pope wrote: I'd rather see small units join forces to run their races... not necessarily to race against each other, but to have access to facilities. Also, they could piggyback with a larger, but not too distant, unit's derby. If they can actually race, it is better.
I do know that their have been some units in our Council that have not raced in the past for various reasons. Joining-up like this could definitely be a solution for some of them. Thanks :!:
Jungle Jim
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

In Scouting, the District Cub Scout Leader Roundtable is an ideal place to make contacts to help bring about such joint solutions. You might ask the District Executive (who is usually present at such gatherings) to introduce you to the leaders of some larger nearby units. Of course, plan ahead ... it takes time to pull something like this together and have everyone ready.

Don't know what structures the other racing organizations might have ... but some area-wide support organization seems likely. Anyone know what exists, by organization (AWANA, etc.)?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Stan Pope wrote:Don't know what structures the other racing organizations might have ... but some area-wide support organization seems likely. Anyone know what exists, by organization (AWANA, etc.)?
For Awana there is the missionary for the region.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Jungle Jim
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Jungle Jim »

Stan Pope wrote:In Scouting, the District Cub Scout Leader Roundtable is an ideal place to make contacts to help bring about such joint solutions. You might ask the District Executive (who is usually present at such gatherings) to introduce you to the leaders of some larger nearby units. Of course, plan ahead ... it takes time to pull something like this together and have everyone ready.
We have a meeting every year that all of the DE's are "supposed" to attend. In the future , I'll be sure to add at these meetings your suggestion of banding together smaller units that might not normally race.
Jungle Jim