Slowest Car Award

General race coordinator discussions.
KLenort
Journeyman
Journeyman

Re: Slowest Car Award

Post by KLenort »

gpraceman wrote:This year we will reinstituting our Turtle Award (now better named as the Best Gas Mileage Award), but I need some ideas on an appropriate prize to award. I don't want to give just a certificate. Any ideas?
A Mutant Ninja Turtle !?!?!? :mrgreen:
TurtlePowered
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TurtlePowered »

In our derby we also have a coveted Turtle Trophy. The boys do have access to the track the night before but nobody uses (at least yet) for that purpose. We have 6 lanes on our track and the car must finish the heat under it's own power for each lane to qualify.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Randy,
think that this would depend on it is for a boy or and adult and if the award can be taken in jest or not. Some ideas I had:

#1 How about a brick with wheels on it? You could even mount this on a trophy stand.

#2 An anchor.

#3 A small replica of a gas can with a ribbon on it.

#4 An Energizer Bunny.

I actually like the Ninja Turtle the best. We've still got my sons around here somewhere. I might dig them out and see about making a trophy out of one of them!

Da Graphite Kid
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Randy,
think that this would depend on it is for a boy or and adult and if the award can be taken in jest or not. Some ideas I had:

#1 How about a brick with wheels on it? You could even mount this on a trophy stand.

#2 An anchor.

#3 A small replica of a gas can with a ribbon on it.

#4 An Energizer Bunny.

I actually like the Ninja Turtle the best. We've still got my sons around here somewhere. I might dig them out and see about making a trophy out of one of them!

Da Graphite Kid
Thanks for the ideas guys. We will have this award for each of our race groups, two groups of pros (kids) and one group of amatures (adults/leaders/others).

Actually, I'm thinking of making some plaques with a graphic of a gas gauge with the needle pointing to empty and an engraved brass plate. Now to find a good graphic...
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Da Graphite Kid
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Da Graphite Kid »

Excellant idea gpraceman! If you don't mind could you send me a copy of the graphic?

Da Graphite Kid
PWTom
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by PWTom »

We have awarded a turtle award the last couple of years. The car has the highest point total, but no DNFs. It's just a certificate similar to the various design awards that we give out (and we give out lots of 'em). This year was my turn to hand out awards and I was little nervous about this one (would the boy be embarassed, etc.).

I made a special certificate with a turtle on and gave it out after all of the design awards. I "sold" the award much, much more than any of the design awards (It takes special talent to make this type of car, anybody can make fast cars, only one boy from the whole pack wins this type of award, etc.) Everyone in the crowd roared with applause when the winner was announced and the boy had a grin the size of Texas.
MathGuy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by MathGuy »

We aren't going to have a slowest scout car award, but we are going to have the leaders race 4.0 ounce, because the boys move up and down tiers in our race system, the bottom tier is intended to be dominated by these slow turtle cars raced by the leaders, thus the slowest kids will always beat these guys, and win a heat. We will be able to slow the cars down if we need too.

At the end of the day we are going to have Open class turtle race for the dads, leaders and siblings, but the cars need to weigh 4.0 ounces. This allows the leaders to lube up there cars, and compete. I think like a race with open rules, it is probably good for the dads not to be using the same rules.

We can only set up the track for a day, so traditional turtles aren't goin to work, because we won't have any test days.
Fun for one, Fun for all.
Rob D
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

Da Graphite Kid wrote:Excellant idea gpraceman! If you don't mind could you send me a copy of the graphic?

Da Graphite Kid
These are the images that I found for the Best Gas Mileage Award plaques. I went with the second (not that I'm fond of Chevys). I printed them out on thick bond paper, took a black marker around the perimeter to get rid of the while edged, sprayed on some adhesive and then stuck them on the plaques. Then sprayed some gloss clearcoat on and added an Awana brass speed plate. The plaques were 6 x 6 pieces of maple with a routed edge and then stained with a dark stain. They came out not bad for homegrown.

Image Image
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
leerbennett
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by leerbennett »

Has anyone found a source for good looking trophy for a "Best Gas Mileage" award. I would like to buy a trophy about the size of Awana's 1st place speed. Ideally the trophy top should be distinctive to the award. A No Gas or perhaps a green Prius on top instead of the race car.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I haven't seen anyone selling such an award. With 3D printing these days, if you could design a custom top piece, there are companies that will print it for you. Then of course, you can make the design available for the rest of us. ;)
Randy Lisano

whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

older topic
However this might be neat for best gas mileage trophy!
https://www.trophyoutlet.com/new-car-sh ... -QQAvD_BwE
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

whodathunkit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 pm older topic
However this might be neat for best gas mileage trophy!
https://www.trophyoutlet.com/new-car-sh ... -QQAvD_BwE
That looks pretty cool.

Randy Lisano

leerbennett
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by leerbennett »

We decided to give out an old leftover Awana 1st place trophy this year. Still need to figure out what to do for future years.
Looking online, I like the looks of the following Pinewood derby car over a green crystal:
https://www.crownawards.com/Auto.Trophi ... 3CS1%22%7D

IMHO
bracketracer
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by bracketracer »

We use Crown Awards for our trophies also, for the design awards we used this one:

https://www.crownawards.com/ALL.Sculptu ... od%20Derby#

Our slowest single run of the day was awarded the "Pack 83 Safe Driver Award" this year. It was our first year for trying it, nobody intentionally went for it that I could tell. The scout that received the award didn't even have the slowest car but he had one horrible run that picked up the hardware. It was a car shaped like a hot dog in a bun, I believe one of his condiments fell into a wheel. So you might say he was able to relish his victory! ;)