We had a great derby!

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: We had a great derby!

Post by Stan Pope »

When "We've always done it this way!", change takes some selling and some serious planning. I'll leave the selling part for you ... you can probably do a better job than I on that end.

As for the planning, what do you have to do to make the racing orderly, expeditious and safe for the boys and the cars?

1. The rule of the day is "Only the car's driver (or his designated second in the case of special needs boys) may touch any car."

2. Locate the pit in a good location. Fence it off so that access is controlled. Within 10 to 15 feet of the starting line and just out of the lines of travel works good.

3. Structure the pit so that it is "boy friendly". Keys are marked parking spaces, good height and "roll control". A typical banquet table is too high in my opinion. I built a bunch of 50-car tables with folding legs. Parking spaces are "2-deep". The top has the two rows of 25 cars side-by-side. Table height is about 20 to 24 inches. They have raised edge and a raised divider between the rows to keep the cars from trying to roll off. 1/4" stranded board in 1X4 frames is a good match. Dividers between parking spaces were drawn with a fat permanent marker ... about 5/8" wide! Parking "between the lines provides plenty of "finger room" for the boys to get their cars in and out without touching anyone else's car. Straddling a strip of lathe takes too much space, I think. Sitting across a strip of lathe creates a problem for the severly rear weighted cars.

4. If you run charted methods, announce and display participants in upcoming heats so that the boys can be where they need to be without hurrying. Try to work about 1 heat ahead so that you have about 2 heats worth of boys in the track vicinity. Defined "on deck" gathering points will help manage flow.

5. Define travel paths from starting line to finish line to pit. I like having the boys travel to the finish line between the track and the audience and returning to the pit on the opposite side of the track. If there is lots of wiring, then both paths can be on the audience side.

6. Staging platform should have two ends ... mounting on one end (opposite audience) and dismounting (toward audience). Racers should wait near the starting line to watch staging. Go as a group to the finish line when all heat's cars have been staged.

7. Boys should approach the platform in order so that the next car to be staged is the unoccupied location closest to the starter. Starter's job includes watching the staging to assure that already staged cars are not interfered with and to call back the owner if one is bumped. Starter should usually be on the opposite side of the track from the audience.

8. Boys remain at the finish line until the finish line judges tell them to pick up their cars if there is any checking that the finish line judge is responsible for. Then the cars should be picked up, one at a time, working from the side nearest the return path to the pit.

9. Seating for boys should have good travel paths to the track area. I like to have the current group of racers sit behind the track, opposite the general audience. A strip of tape on the floor between them and the track can define "the pen". If only the current group of racers are penned there, then order is more easily obtained. They are focused on the race. Boys from other groups mixed into this group would increase the distractions and would make ingress and egress more difficult.

10. If you have any special-needs youngsters, think about how you can meet their needs. How can you best meet their needs and allow them to participate up to their limits? Can you safely get a wheelchair on the platform? Who is that youngster's "second" for the duration? Does the staging platform provide sufficient height? (Ours are built from 1/2" stranded, 48"X32", with the long dimension parallel to the starting line. Frame and legs are from 2X6 with one step integrated to the support at each end. If wheelchairs need to be served, then a removable ramp would be needed, also.) What other accomodations are needed for special needs? Some will tire more quickly, and the designated "second" may need to assume a more active role as racing progresses. Some discussion with the parents of such youngsters will help.

This part sounds like a major hassle, I know, but I've found significant personal satisfaction from serving the needs of these youngsters.

11. Plan the wiring so that it is shielded from "scuffing" as much as possible. Where it must cross the travel paths, tape it down to the floor ... lengthwise ... or otherwise protect it. wiring between the start line and finish line should be nestled up close to the track. Wiring between track and power sources or computers should cross the traffic path in the shortest distance possible.

This is all that comes to mind ... If I recall any more issues, I'll get back with you.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

Thank you Stan...this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Copy & Paste Stan's reply to Word for the next Committee Meeting (Pack & District!).

I'm on my way to Grainger to pick up a starter gate solenoid right now. Gary Piantedosi couldn't return my call (no surprise this time of year) quicker than I could locate the parts myself. So if nothing else, we'll have the Boys starting each race themselves by wire this year

You have inspired me to elevate our Derby to this standard. If not entirely by next week, then at least for the 2007 Derby. And yes, we do have a Special Needs boy & he will be accommodated.

I'm in sales so "Yes", I'll get this item sold. But safety is paramount & will not be compromised.
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Stephen's Dad wrote:But safety is paramount & will not be compromised.
For the "car safety" aspect, put that in the hands of the individual who is most interested in its safety ... the owner/driver! :)

To me, being "safe" means balancing risk and benefit. There is, I believe, benefit to each boy in racing his own car. He is participating in more of the process, he is learning more skills. But there is risk in stepping up on a platform to do so. (Railing on one side, track on the other, but the short ends. where the steps are, are "open".) The benefits, in my mind, at least, far outweight the risks. And, that is what life is about.

Let your understanding of the challenge guide you in when to push for the changes ... there might be too much to accomplish in one week! But, if the planning and thinking and selling starts now, it is readily accomplishable by the 2007 races!
Stan
Stephen's Dad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Stephen's Dad »

It isn't the safety of the cars I'm worried about though that is a valid concern.

I'm more worried about the various tripping hazards (data cables, extension cords, PA equipment, steps to reach the starting gate, etc) but the points you brought up to control the flow of traffic should work. We hold this event on a gym floor. So I think the best bet would be to lay a carpet over the area the boys will be handling their cars & walking up to the track.

I did get a solenoid operated start gate built today so they will at least get to start their own races next week. Now I'll need to figure out how to pick the starters. We'll probably just allow each lane 1 racer start each heat since every Boy runs on every lane at least once.

It's a start. I wish I had seen this thread sooner.
The man who stands tallest is the man who bends to help a child.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

On your solenoid activated starting line ... consider putting the "boy's go button" in series with a switch controlled by staff so that the "go button" can be disabled until staging is complete and judges are ready.
Stan
DerbyAddict
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddict »

Stan Pope wrote: (abbreviated for sapce)
1. The rule of the day is "Only the car's driver (or his designated second in the case of special needs boys) may touch any car."

This is all that comes to mind ... If I recall any more issues, I'll get back with you.
Our rules and procedures almost to a "T".
We used flagging tape to mark the path the boys would follow, a big circular path around the track. We marked off the "On Deck" circle halfway between the pit table and the starter.
It went something like this -
Call boys to be on deck, boys get cars, stand in "On Deck" circle. Current race starts, starter calls boys from on deck circle to stage cars. Race results announced, boys retrieve cars, next boys "On Deck" called to get cars. Boys get cars, stand in "On Deck" circle,Current race starts, starter calls boys from on deck circle to stage cars.
Repeat 162 times.

On number 3 of Stan's list, we handled the rolling part by purchasing bubble wrap and wrapping the table in it. It prevents the cars from rolling and provides a small cushion in case a car gets dropped on the table. We used the little bubbles. This stuff, if cared for (which includes not allowing the boys or siblings - or even some of the big kid parents - from "popping" the bubbles for fun), can be reused for a couple of years. I got the idea from this board I think and it worked very well this year.
Richard Sava
Cubmaster, Pack 241
Deltona, FL
Any day racing PWD is a good day but winning makes a better good day!