New guy with questions

General race coordinator discussions.
Deuces Wild
Apprentice
Apprentice

New guy with questions

Post by Deuces Wild »

Hello to all! I was shown this site about a week or so ago and have enjoyed reading what everyone has to say. My son has been in Derby's for about 3 years now. We never had very good inside knowledge on how to build the cars to go fast so I am looking forward to applying many of your ideas. We did participate last week in our first Awana Derby where we built a car for my son, my daughter and myself. I used what tips that I knew and we tested the week prior to the race and my kids were two of the fastest (my daughter set the fastest time of all cars that tested). I put the cars away for the week and never messed with them at all before the race. When we got there on race day I added a litle more of the liquid lube (big mistake) that I had used the week before. Well long story short.......we lost! Our cars slowed down so much that they both ran the exact same time and would have came in 5th out of about 65 cars. Needless to say they were very disapointed, and so was I. I do not remember the name of the lube, but I am sure that having it sit for a week must have done something to it. Oh well, a good leson learned.

What I need help with though is I have spoke to our Church about having an Awana derby and they are very interested. They have asked that I put together some information for them of everything involved, as well as cost. I have put together some information for them and got a few figures together but I am not sure what I might be missing. They would like me to be the one in charge of putting this all together if we do this so any help is appreciated. My biggest concern right now is money. I want to do this right because I know it will be a big hit in out town. Can anybody tell me what my cost are going to roughly be for the first year getting started, and then roughly what it would be every year after that? We are looking at doing this within the next few months if I can get everything put together.

Thanks for your help........and thank you very much for ALL of the great tips and ideas that I have read!!!

Doug
FRANKLIN WHALEY
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: New guy with questions

Post by FRANKLIN WHALEY »

Doug, Welcome to the board! I know what your going to be up against. We have a penny pinching finance committee too. I bought our timer equipment and just donated it. I didn't feel like jumping through their hoops at the time. To answer your question, a good pre-made wooden track would cost between $300-$600 depending on the number of lanes. A timing system can run from $100-$500 depending on how much you want it to do, also how much of the assembly you can do. On the upper end, an aluminum track and timer could be from just under to well over $1000. There are lots of plans out there to build your own track. This would be the least expensive way to go. There's also plans to build timers. Although some of us aren't smart enough to do that, maybe you are. We used our track for three years with no timer. The races seemed just as much fun for the boys and that's what counts anyway. Another thing to consider is the length of your new track. We have several places in our church that the 32' wooden track can be setup for races. But we don't have anywhere a 40' plus track could go. This initial purchase should be the biggest cost and a one time deal. After the first year your cost should be less than $200 for trophies and things like that. We get our RA's to pay for their cars every year. I'm sure everything will work out fine for you. It sounds like you're in it for the right reason. Just keep reading these post and you'll find most of your questions have already been asked and answered. But don't hesitate to ask anything, folks on this board are as helpful as I have ever seen.
BE A FISHER OF MEN!
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

This is a great out-reach ministry. Don't forget for WHO the reason the race is for. Go to AWANA.org and navigate to the grand prix materials and figure out what you really need to get. Check with your commander and see what's in this years budget. Have the kids have a fund raiser. Let the congregation know. You might be surprised how folks are very willing to help out with funds for the kids. Do some searches on this site dealing with track, timer, and software recommondations. Theres alot of smart folks on this site.
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

Hey Dueces---just noticed your in Wooster. Where did you compete with your kids cars? Did you go to another club to race or did just just go up to Grafton for the Northern Ohio meet?
CuriousGeorge
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by CuriousGeorge »

Hi Dueces,

I wouldn't buy a track the first year. Just borrow one from your pack or any pack. I can't imagine a Cubmaster saying no to a church... you know "Duty to God" and all. I am sure they will want to set it up and probably either help with the race or just stick around just to make sure no damage is done. See how the first year goes and take it from there. That would cut out a great deal of the cost without cutting out any of the fun.
CuriousGeorge
"They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius."
Deuces Wild
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Deuces Wild »

VENARI wrote:Hey Dueces---just noticed your in Wooster. Where did you compete with your kids cars? Did you go to another club to race or did just just go up to Grafton for the Northern Ohio meet?
It was another club in Loudonville,OH at another club. What is the one in Grafton?

Thanks everyone for all of your ideas. Our Church is in the process of building a new Church down the street that we are suppose to be moving into some time in Aug., so I know funds will be a little tight to go all out this year unless we do get other to pitch in. I should find out today at Church where we want to go from here.

Thanks again!
VENARI
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by VENARI »

This year the North Ohio AWANA District grand prix was held on Apr. 1st up in Grafton, Oh. Just NW of Medina. Very nice time and meet as well. Something to seriously consider when you schedule your local race. All clubbers who had participated at any local level where allowed to enter. Leaders and adults need not have participated but could bring up a car to race as well. Folks as far as Toledo to Jefferson ect. wherever, North Ohio may enter. Get a hold of your commander and get the phone number for D.B. the North Ohio missionary. Explain to him what your in the process of doing. I'm sure he will be glad to help. Also I'd be happy to talk with you as well. I'm less than an hour from you, I've been doing grand prix's for awhile.