Boy with physical limitations

General race coordinator discussions.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Boy with physical limitations

Post by Go Bubba Go »

For the first time in recent memory, we have a Tiger Cub this year who is confined to a wheelchair. I believe he has good use of his upper body, so building a car doesn't appear to be an issue.

The issue is that during our races we allow the boys (it's their car!) to stage the cars, pick them up and bring them back from the stop area, and judge the cars for a best design award.

I need to discuss the subject with his father when I find the right moment (hopefully he will be at one of my upcoming workshops), but I was hoping the more experienced race chairmen could chime in with some suggestions about how I can ensure this boys remains "included" if he is unable to stage his own car or retrieve it from the pit area. I don't want him to stand out as the only apparent "spectator" in what I consider a participation event.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Down-N-Flames
Pine Head
Pine Head

Re: Boy with physical limitations

Post by Down-N-Flames »

I would say that he should be able to do everything except the actual staging of the car and picking up the car from the track end. I would suggest he have a sibling (if there is one) or parent help with that exact part. He should be able to retrieve his car from the pits and take it back without a problem. We have our boys stage the car and then go to the finish line and wait for the race to end "inside the rope." I would think he should still be able to do that. I would think the biggest thing is make it easy to get to and not make a big deal about it. The less big deal you make would be better in my opinion.

Woody
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Bubba,

I have to deal with this subject all the time with the profession I am in.
It might be a god idea to find out what is his reach height since he is a child. What might be possible, since he is a Tiger Cub, would be to have a 8"-12" tall staging platform built to accomodate not only this particular Cub Scout but others who cannot reach to the 4 foot height. The platform could have a ramp which would allow him access to the flat area of the platorm. You will need to install a stop or wheel guard on the non-ramp side to insure that his wheelchair does not roll off the sides.
The ramp should have a slope such that he can be pushed up onto the platform.
Talk with some of the other parents. They might have trailer ramps that could be used in lieu of building the ramp.

If this is not an option, I like Woody's idea of having a sibling, mentor, or someone close to him stage the cars and then have him retireve, if capable.

Jim
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Way to go! Do as much as you can to allow each Cub to participate up to his ability!

For platform amd ramp, there may be some guidelines available regarding size and slope. Also, find out the platform height necessary for your Cub to reach over the back easily. I haven't researched this aspect, but I bet you can find guidelines on the internet or from a local architect.

Talk to Dad early. Tell him what the challenge is and what you want to do. Enlist his help ... for the benefit of his son and others who may follow him.

You may be able to adapt the staging platform on my website.

Also, if you Cub operates his own chair, it will tie up his hands. He will need some way to protect the car during that time. His Mom or Dad should be able to help with that, even if it is something as simple as a car-sized cloth bag that he can hang about his neck for transporting the car.

Encourage him to partipate up to his limit, but don't force him beyond. Allow help for retrieving and staging if he thinks he needs it. Even if he normally moves his chair about by himself, suggest Dad or Mom assist his mobility when he thinks he needs it and, in any case, on the ramp!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

For the ramp design guidelines, you will need a ramp which has a maximum slope of 1:12 rise to length ratio according to the ADAAG. The clear width of the ramp need to be at least 36" across.
Also, according to the ADAAG, the platform needs to be able to accomodate a turning radius of 5 feet in diameter or 5 ft square so that the person is able to roll up to the platform and then be able to turn around without having to back off down the ramp.

PM me if you would like me to come up with a drawing for this.

Jim
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Great info, Jim. Thank you for posting!
Stan
cheelwheels
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cheelwheels »

As one who has been handicapped my whole life I admire the concern that you have for the boy. Do not be afraid to talk with the parent about this situation. They will appreciate the fact that you care about their boy. You might check with local businesses that supply equipment for the disabled. In St.Louis there is Mediquip or other type businesses which may loan yopur organiztion the use of a portable ramp or may have a solution to your problem. The ramp will have to be no greater tan a 6 degree grade.
WERE IT NOT FOR GRACE WE WOULD LOSE THE ONLY RACE THAT REALLY COUNTS
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Down-N-Flames wrote:I would say that he should be able to do everything except the actual staging of the car and picking up the car from the track end. I would suggest he have a sibling (if there is one) or parent help with that exact part. He should be able to retrieve his car from the pits and take it back without a problem. We have our boys stage the car and then go to the finish line and wait for the race to end "inside the rope." I would think he should still be able to do that. I would think the biggest thing is make it easy to get to and not make a big deal about it. The less big deal you make would be better in my opinion.

Woody
Update: I spoke with the boy's father recently, and with our Pack committee, and the accommodation we arrived at is very similar to what Woody described above.

Our normal setup: We have a roped-off area that runs in front of the track from the starting line all the way down to the finish line. The group of boys that are currently racing sit immediately behind the rope (parents and siblings are further behind them in chairs) and wait their turn to "pick up, place, race and return" their cars. When it is their turn, they go over to the staging table and pick up their own car, then proceed to the starting line and place their cars in lane order. They then move back outside the ropes, down to the stop end, where their cars are removed from the track by a helper (inside the ropes) at the end of the race and placed in a "pickup" tray. The tray is then placed in front of the boys for them each to pick up their own car and return it to the staging table.

The boy in question has an electric wheelchair that I am told can "turn on a dime" and for which he is apparently a very skilled operator. We will move the rope back a little further than normal and allow this boy to remain inside the roped off area during his race. His father (sibling is a toddler) prefers to stage his car as we (esp. he) all felt that the ramps and/or other special mods that would be required to allow the boy to do this from a seated position were "a bit of a big deal". The boy can pick up his car from the table, hand it to his father, move down to the stop end, retrieve his car, and return it back to the table. Other than the actual placement of the car on the track, the normal car handling duties will all be his.

Based on the interaction I have seen so far with this particular group of parents, I do not anticipate any difficulties with the boy having his father stage his car.
pwdarchitect
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by pwdarchitect »

Good Deal! Keeping the boy involved as much as you have is the way to go. Congrats on your efforts.

Jim
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Go Bubba Go wrote:His father (sibling is a toddler) prefers to stage his car as we (esp. he) all felt that the ramps and/or other special mods that would be required to allow the boy to do this from a seated position were "a bit of a big deal". The boy can pick up his car from the table, hand it to his father, move down to the stop end, retrieve his car, and return it back to the table. Other than the actual placement of the car on the track, the normal car handling duties will all be his.

Based on the interaction I have seen so far with this particular group of parents, I do not anticipate any difficulties with the boy having his father stage his car.
An alternative (better?) proxy for staging would be another uninvolved Scout or even non-scout friend of approximately the same age. That would eliminate age-fairness concerns that the parent's involvement might cause.

Besides that, congrats! You have done your Scout, his family and your pack a service!
Stan
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Stan Pope wrote:An alternative (better?) proxy for staging would be another uninvolved Scout or even non-scout friend of approximately the same age. That would eliminate age-fairness concerns that the parent's involvement might cause.
I have that thought in my "back pocket" in case the issue is raised. I hadn't thought about it at the time I spoke to his father. My sense is that it won't be an issue with this group, but that may change, especially if the boy's car does well. Results breed scrutiny, so to speak.
ExtremePWD
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ExtremePWD »

Sounds like a good solution. As much as possible, the boy could also stop alongside the starting end of the track and visually check his dad's staging work and give his approval.
derbykid71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by derbykid71 »

:mrgreen: All great ideas dont let that tiger cub down!