How to keep eBay cars out of your race

General race coordinator discussions.
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: How to keep eBay cars out of your race

Post by Darin McGrew »

DerbyAddicted wrote:
Darin McGrew wrote:And next year, we won't have people skipping the derby because they don't think they stand a chance against eBay cars.
Unfortunately, especially now that there is a history of it, I think that will always be the pervasive thought. I've seen it WAY too often in gaming/sports that the minute someone loses, they automatically resort to the "they were cheating" accusations. I don't know why people do that. Not sure if it's ego, or what, but they just can't comprehend that someone is actually better than them or if there's some other reason.
We haven't seen much of that "they must have cheated" response. And we haven't had a problem with eBay cars, so we haven't seen people not wanting to compete against eBay cars. But these are not at all the same issue.
mehiggins101
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by mehiggins101 »

TXDerbyDad wrote: I don't care if my boys or I win or lose in our race, though we put a lot of effort into winning.
I understand the sentiment, but I have to admit I do care. More to the point, my son cares, and that's why we put the effort in. But, all the effort means more time together. Anyway, we're on the same page, but I do care if he wins or loses. I don't get upset if he loses, but I do want him to win.

I'm not as concerned about eBay rollers as I am about parents buying pre-modified axles and wheels. One year our pack had a champion who did just that. He passed tech and since I'm the Cubmaster and not the race director, I didn't realize what was up until after the dust settled. Our pack states you must use what was provided in the kit. Now, if you buy extra kit nails, I don't see a problem with that (and we couldn't tech that anyway), but buying pro-polished nails is more than technically cheating. Buying lightened wheels that are matched and have the mold marks intact might pass most tech inspections, but is still cheating. Nothing was said. I hate the idea of disqualifying a kid based on the deeds of the dad. I think this year we may (change is a hard sell with my pack) add a Super Stock class for guest racers and cars that fail tech.
ZebsRacing
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by ZebsRacing »

Stamping does nothing when a parent can send in his car to be "tuned" by the pros. In any event, alot of good ideas. Some I will certainly bring up to our District.
358t
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by 358t »

It goes against scout code/oath to buy a car off of the internet. Doing that is breaking the rules and has no honor. Shame on any parents that would teach their child this.

I have no idea/proof if it happened at last seasons scout race but there were a handful of cars that ran nearly as fast as the basx league class at the scout race and then when it came to districts they were 2 tenths of a second slower while everyone one else was the same to .04 slower. Makes a person wonder...

Mold matched wheels by themselves do not make for a fast car. So I don't see the problem with that as long as the wheels are not lightened and machined. Heck if a person buys enough packs of wheels you can find 3 pretty good wheels that would be better than a pack of "mold matched" wheels.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

There's a parent/kid in my son's Pack who I am almost certain gets their cars from some for-hire builder. I don't have enough proof to nail them, though, so I haven't made a fuss. That would definitely be ugly if it came to it.

I almost wonder if it would be worth having both adult and scout affirm, at the check in, that on their honor they have built the car themselves and have not broken any rules. Not sure that would help, though, if people are already determined to cheat.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I find it very difficult for someone to cheat. First, you need an inspector that has read, and understands, Troy Thorne's book, "Build a Winning Pinewood Derby Car." Next, ask the Inspector to describe in detail a 1.8 gram wheel. If he can't, get another Inspector. I doubt someone building cars for money per someone elses rules would put lightened wheels on the car.
A lot depends on the rules. If your rules allow you to rail ride and no one else knows what that means I suspect that car has a good chance of winning. If a car is built using science from the very beginning to the very end and then has a quality track to tune it on, that car is going to be difficult to beat no matter who built it. If it is true a person buys a car and wins the race my heart goes out to that person. People remember the Pinewood Derby for ever and that person now has to live with it the rest of their life. That's Gotta Hurt.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Speedster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:29 amIf it is true a person buys a car and wins the race my heart goes out to that person. People remember the Pinewood Derby for ever and that person now has to live with it the rest of their life. That's Gotta Hurt.
This is truth. The racing part of Pinewood Derby is only a fraction of the enjoyment. For kid/parent teams, the real joy is the time you spend together in the build. Cheat that, and who's the real loser?
Rod Turnbull
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Rod Turnbull »

Meh, after taking all the advice here, passing it on to your cubs, holding workshops so everyone has a chance to use the tools they need access to... Bring on the Ebay [junk] the 7 year olds in my pack need the challenge. Love to see the tears in the eyes of someone who just shelled out $250 to be beat bad by a bunch of little kids. :)