Awarded wrong trophy - how to fix or leave alone?

General race coordinator discussions.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Awarded wrong trophy - how to fix or leave alone?

Post by Go Bubba Go »

Without going into the "finer points" of our point based, Single Elimination scoring system, suffice it to say that there was an error in awarding trophies at our Council races yesterday.

In one of the grades, the 3rd place trophy was awarded and given to the boy who actually placed 2nd, and the 2nd place trophy was awarded and given to the boy who actually placed 3rd. When this grade was scored, mistakes were made in totaling the points awarded to each boy.

The trophies are awarded one after another in a big ceremony, and the parents of the 2nd place boy who was mistakenly awarded 3rd place did not interrupt the ceremony to protest the mistake, even though they thought it was incorrect when it happened. They approached the judges immediately afterwards, who reviewed their scorecards and determined that a mistake had been made.

The other boy who was mistakenly awarded a higher trophy (given 2nd when actually placed 3rd) left immediately and is some distance (approx. 150 miles - this is a Council wide event) away from where the races were run.

Any thoughts on how to handle this? 2 issues that should be addressed are:

1) What to do with the boy who was given the "lower" trophy (fix / replace it? - the "higher" trophies are a bit bigger).

2) How to annouce the winner (what was awarded at the event vs. the correct awarding) in the upcoming Council Newsletter.
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Awarded wrong trophy - how to fix or leave alone?

Post by sporty »

I will try and answer this on my thoughts on the matter.

I would hope that the leaders of the event, would contact both families and get a trophy switch made. If not,

Correct the matter in the flier and perhaps they should do a exchange of the trophy with the proper one.

Since likely all are gone. But perhaps who made them, they could get it sent to the trophy makers to fix, correct that.

Hard to get parents to give back or switch out a trophy. So I would hope at least, they would make sure the flier is correct and get the child the right trophy.

Thats how I would address it.

As, What I saw at the event. A old warped track was used for the final. I do nto know why they used the old eye ball system at the finish line.

I saw them a few times forget to reset the lights. Often I saw 2 lights blinking at the same time. Meaning a tie.

However, I did not see a do over for the tie, or did they announce how they placed in that situation.

I certainly feel they need to go with some better equipment for the races and announcing how the cars placed each round.

No timers, or computer software was used.

So, certainly when they run it, like that. There our going to be some issues. Lets hope they resolve them.

Sporty
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Awarded wrong trophy - how to fix or leave alone?

Post by Stan Pope »

1. Contact both parents advising them of the scoring error and actual finish place.
2. Offer to each boy to exchange the awarded trophy for the correct trophy. (It may cost district/council a few $ but it is necessary.)
3. Publish the correct results ... no explanation needed. The folks who need to know already know from 1 above.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"