It's official!!! (certifiable???)

General race coordinator discussions.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

It's official!!! (certifiable???)

Post by Go Bubba Go »

We picked up the Pack's track from last year's Pinewood Derby Chairman and brought it to our house on Saturday. I guess this means:

1) I'm now "officially" the Pinewood Derby Chairman
2) The tracks gonna get some much needed TLC (cleaning, redo the stop section, upgrade the starting gate, ...)
3) I won't have to drive over to last year's Chairman's house to practice setting up the hardware and electronics in preparation for the "big day" (67 days and counting)
4) There will be an unofficial Pack Meeting or two at our house over the Holidays
5) We've gone certifiably Down and Derby.

Wish us luck!!!

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: It's official!!! (certifiable???)

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

That sounds familiar!!! I inherited the job last year. I built a new stop section (a wooden copy of the new Piantedosi stop section) and rebuilt the starting mechanism. The track surface is really rough so last year I tried to sand it, finding the paint is really hard! I'm not sure what to do about that.

It's kind of ironic that I had the Packs track and my track and never set one up last year for trials!

I wish you luck!!
Mr. Slick
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Slick »

GoBubbaGo - I feel that a clarification should be made. As I have explained to Derby Widow several times, you are only in the 'Down & Derby' stage of the illness when you BUILD a track in your BEDROOM and then RACE on it in the bedroom...not sure if you need to invite friends over to race in your bedroom. :)

So there are three specific requirements that need to be met.
Location: The kitchen, living room, basement, etc. don't count.
What is being built: Building cars, track stop sections and other important parts may be done - only complete tracks cause the classification.
What is done afterwards: Things like electronics testing, starting mechanism tests, finish section detection alignment, etc. may all be done in the bedroom without getting oneself classified to the 'Down & Derby' stage.

These are important items or I would be in the same class. :lol:

I don't know what the stage of the Pinewood Derby Illness is for having 4 or more tracks at your house but if you find out - don't tell Derby Widow! :shhh:

Congrats and THANK YOU for helping out with the storage and planning!
Mr. Slick says: Honey, I am doing this for the kids, not myself.
mokanmikey
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by mokanmikey »

Good luck Bubba!!
I find my self in a simular situation. My son has moved on to Boy Scouts but I am the one who upgraded the track and electronics and computer system so I am the Derby chair again this year. I really don't mind though, it is a small price to pay to be able to keep on "playing" with the cars and the boys!!
We always have the Open and Powder Puff divisions and my son will enter into the Open this year with plans on knocking me off my undefeated pedestal ( I just may let him ;) )
Can we go camping yet?
Pinewood Daddy
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Pinewood Daddy »

mokanmikey wrote:Good luck Bubba!!
I find my self in a simular situation. My son has moved on to Boy Scouts but I am the one who upgraded the track and electronics and computer system so I am the Derby chair again this year. I really don't mind though, it is a small price to pay to be able to keep on "playing" with the cars and the boys!!
We always have the Open and Powder Puff divisions and my son will enter into the Open this year with plans on knocking me off my undefeated pedestal ( I just may let him ;) )
After my son's move on I doubt they'd want us to come back so someone else can win!