Derby cost finances

General race coordinator discussions.
TAL
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Derby cost finances

Post by TAL »

In some other threads derby rental services have been mentioned.

Say if a pack rents out the track to another pack , what is a good set rate.
As mentioned you don't want to go way under financially, gas , cost etc.

I have seen some track rental comparisons something like 4 lanes with computer around about $100.00 - $125 , 3 lanes with computer $75.00 -$100.00,
Some with out timers and also with or without operators with various prices ranging from donations accepted, $35.00 , up to $300.00 complete derbies.

When a pack pays out money whether renting , buying, or hireing is the payee, whether individual or pack; who is responsible for the uncle sam end of the line?
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Derby cost finances

Post by pack529holycross »

if you purchase services as a Unit, it is likely that you will be purchasing those services from another Unit... in that case you are technically making a donation to their Unit in exchange for the services rendered in return. There is no tax implications for either entity, other than the possibility of the payor gaining a deduction for a charitable donation. If I am incorrect, then I freely admit I am not an expert in the matters of non-profits recieving or paying for services from another non-profit.

Our pack intends to provide derby services including a 6lake track, timer, 4 people, projector, and ancillary decorations for $250 for any event under 2 hours running time, and $500 for any event from 3-6hours running time.

Nicholas
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

I believe Nicholas is correct, although I would suggest that you can check with your Council's "fundraising people" as they tend to be quite knowledgeable about tax implications for Scouts.

BSA is insistent that in fundraising the donating party get something of real value in return for their donation, and yet we don't pay Income or Sales taxes on things like Popcorn sales, Wreath sales, etc. etc. Not sure providing a service like running a PWD would be any different, as long as the money is going directly to the Scouting organization and not to any private individuals.

But again, I would double-check with the Council folks.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

TAL wrote:I have seen some track rental comparisons something like 4 lanes with computer around about $100.00 - $125 , 3 lanes with computer $75.00 -$100.00,
Some with out timers and also with or without operators with various prices ranging from donations accepted, $35.00 , up to $300.00 complete derbies
I'd never let our Awana or pack tracks be rented out without someone accompanying it. I've heard stories of tracks coming back damaged or pieces missing. It is too big of an investment to hope someone else will take due care of it.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
Go Bubba Go
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Go Bubba Go »

gpraceman wrote: I'd never let our Awana or pack tracks be rented out without someone accompanying it. I've heard stories of tracks coming back damaged or pieces missing. It is too big of an investment to hope someone else will take due care of it.
Agreed wholeheartedly, and it really should be someone who understands the setup and can step in to curb behavior that can lead to damage (boys stepping back and forth over the track, rough treatment of starting gate, etc.)

One piece of our "Pack lore" relates to our track being treated poorly when it was donated for use during the Council event some time ago (not sure when, but it predates my arrival). Ever since then, it has been a big "NO, Ugh Ugh, no way" response when the Council folks suggest we use it for their race.

I have inspected it closely and don't see any unusual (i.e. above normal wear) damage, but it would certainly be better to have sent someone along with the track to prevent actual damage and hopefully minimize related accusations / lore.

Bubba
"Who's Grandpa's neighbor?"... Phil Davis, Down and Derby