I - is it a dirty letter?

General race coordinator discussions.
dna1990
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

I - is it a dirty letter?

Post by dna1990 »

This video looks to have been posted this summer, so perhaps it has already had discussion here...and maybe this Dad is a reader here, I dunno.

https://youtu.be/

And while I bet this fellow is a good guy, wants to be a good parent, etc - I found it 'difficult' to watch. At first, I started to count the times he said "I", but quickly lost count. Listen to his comment at the very end at the 8:58 mark.

Why post it here? I guess there is no doubt, I too, take PWD pretty serious. So sometimes it helps to 'see' what you might look like, as soon as the Scout is dismissed from the equation.

Let's all challenge ourselves to have more kid fingerprints on this year's fleet.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: I - is it a dirty letter?

Post by ohiofitter »

dna1990 wrote:

And while I bet this fellow is a good guy, wants to be a good parent, etc - I found it 'difficult' to watch. At first, I started to count the times he said "I", but quickly lost count. Listen to his comment at the very end at the 8:58 mark.

Why post it here? I guess there is no doubt, I too, take PWD pretty serious. So sometimes it helps to 'see' what you might look like, as soon as the Scout is dismissed from the equation.
I know I rough cut the shape close to the line on the bansaw...It might be selfish but if something was to happen then I would rather it happen to me than my boys.........I do teach them tool safety don't get me wrong the boys sand the car to the finale shape........to route out the car I have a x/y vise so all the have to do is turn the handles..........now with the axles we take turns one grit the boys one grit dad(although dad rubs a little longer)...........the wheels little hands can be helpful or hurtful at this stage...they have to learn about pressure..know paint because we use spray cans it's a toss up my oldest never like the fumes sop dad painted and son detailed now the little one dad guides the hand while he sprays............... the hole concept is to do it together and have fun ......unfortunately this dad did not read that in the rules.........and to post it on youtube was just dumb.now seeing HIS car beat all the kids maybe there pack will look into setting up questions for the kids s to what part they did
dstory
Merchant
Merchant

Post by dstory »

How often is it the dad's ego that is seen racing down the track? Too often, I would suspect.

Good post and thanks for the reminder.

don
GravityRacer
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by GravityRacer »

I didn't have much time helping my oldest make his first PWD car, I was too busy helping defend the free world. But as time permitted, I went to Grandpa's house and held the boy's hands to guide the wood through the scroll saw. A snapped blade is not too dangerous in a scroll saw. From there, it was guidance only, and not pushing the boy's admittedly short attention spans. I'd rather they had a good time, got to work with dad, and maybe won a race. I'd like to think that helping the kids learn to deal with all the unfairness, disappointment and just plain "it didn't turn out like I wanted it to" problems when they are young is better. The best way to make life rough for someone when they are grown up is to make it too easy for them when they are young.
getSEVEN
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by getSEVEN »

OH MY!

The worse thing is I think he means well, but is missing the whole point!

It's hard, sometimes to watch your child make mistakes, but that's part of their learning. Pride too. If they don't build it what is there for them to be proud of?

Poor man. I truly feel sorry for him.
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

my son builds his cars, but I design the car, calculate where wt will go, hover over him, hold things sometimes, and make him do every step correctly, and he is successful. What he doesnt do I explain to him, and have every year (unreal what he forgets in just a year).

But he told me last wk that next yr he wants to build his car all by himself.
He would still ask for guidance, Im sure , but to him there is a difference , he is ready and wants to be the one steering the boat, not dad. He is tired of being the mechanical hands that make the car, with no mental aspects behind it. At Webelos II level, he will be ready for that, IF he even competes next yr.
PineNut
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by PineNut »

Wow...it must have been the 6th block that was added...not the fifth!