Different take on awards

General race coordinator discussions.

Should the trophies be given out for sportsmanship instead of place?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am

Yes
No votes
No
43%
Give out both
57%

Total votes: 14

Utecharger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Different take on awards

Post by Utecharger »

Hello all! Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

Ok so here is a little history on me and my pinewood derby experiences before I get into my question.

I have been the Cubmaster for 3 years and was the Wolf leader before that. During that time I have watched 5 races and been in charge of 2. For the most part they have been good experiences http://pack4963.blogspot.com/2008/09/blog-post.html

Well this Tuesday we are having another Derby and I had an idea. Our neighborhood, like most I am sure, has a few parents that are very, very competitive (myself included). My oldest son placed 2nd his 1st year and last year he placed 2nd again while his younger brother placed 4th. Of coarse I always hear muttering of how my boys always place higher because I am the cub master and must be cheating somehow. Anyways the same families are always placing in the top 4, it has been like this for the 5 years I have been going to this event. Because of this a lot of boys and parents are losing their excitment for this event. Some have stopped coming completely and others just become frustrated and or mad and as much as we as leaders prod, there is no sportsmanship or congratulations given. Some people even get up and leave after the final heat has been set. So this leads me to my question.

This year I was thinking about dropping a suprise bomb on the group. I was thinking of having the trophies up on the display table for all to see but they wont be going to the First thru third place winners. The winners would receive certificates that state their final place in the race but the trophies (all the same size) will be given out to those cubs that show the most spirit and sportsmanship. They of coarse wont know this until the end of the race and these boys will be picked by the owner of the track who does not know any of the kids personally and lives in another town. Last year he really tried his hardest to get the kids involved but as the race wore on you could see the excitment leaving and the sportsmanship waning as the normal winners were beating the other cars race after race.

I know that there is a good chance that my boys may not recieve a trophy this year (and their cars are AWESOME this time) but I want to give those boys that always cheer to the end, but go home empty handed, the chance at a trophy.

Anyways I thought I would throw this out to the forum and see what the "professionals" think.

Thanks
Utecharger
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Different take on awards

Post by gpraceman »

I added a third option to your poll. Why not do both? You can make the sportsmanship trophy bigger than the rest to emphasize that sportsmanship is more important.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

I like the goal but I would hesitate to change the regular trophy stuff without letting the Pack know what to expect well-beforehand. Especially if there are very competitive parents around. It sounds more like you are punishing them, than rewarding the good sports. I would expect it to create more division in the Pack. Just my opinion.

If anything, I would make the sportmanship trophies larger and emphasize them more. Maybe a handful. It may be tough to decide who to give it to.

This is my 3rd year in Scouting, my first as Cubmaster. My son and I won the first two years (DT and luck helped the first year--DT and careful preparation helped last year). To avoid running into similar disenchantment, I share building tips and speed tips at our workshop each year. I don't really hide anything (I've got one secret that no one has asked me about in our Pack--I will tell them if they ask me) about what we do.

Might I suggest that the top 4 car builders agree to a workshop where they talk about what makes a car fast--axle polishing, wheel preparation, weight placement, alignment etc? Probably too late for this year . . .
Utecharger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Utecharger »

Ok, I got the trophies ordered and I am going to do both. The biggest trophy is going to the cub who shows the most sportsmanship and then the next biggest trophy is going to the best of show. After that we will give out the 1-4 place trophies.

Your right addict I would hate for it to come across that I was punishing the winners instead of congratulating the cub who is showing the most sportsmanship. Hopefully next year the kids will remember who got the biggest trophy and why.
Nitro Dan
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Nitro Dan »

A sportsmanship trophy is a good idea, but it sounds to me as if you need to devise methods that takes those who are losing and bring them up to a level where they can compete with those few who are more competitive. Organizers of PWD events have to do more now-a-days than just hold the event. Knowledge and skill transfers to those who don't do as well is a must in order to keep the event interesting and exciting each year.

The pack I'm with holds multiple workshops each year to help the parent/cub teams learn and practice the core knowledge of making fast Pinewood Derby cars. We openly share our tools, techniques and tips so that the race becomes a real "nail-biting" event with the majority of the cars only being a fraction of a second apart. We teach the physics of the Pinewood Derby so everyone has a good understanding of what they need to do to compete. Each year we study the previous years data and seek out those who did not do very well in order to help them the best way we can. And for those who excel each year, we stroke their egos and recruit them to share and assist the others in the following years. By helping everyone face the challenge, we in turn challenge ourselves to be more creative and inventive each year.

Of course it takes a lot of work to do it this way, but the results are well worth the efforts. The Pinewood Derby has become the most popular and highest attended event of our Pack. No one has the desire to leave early and win or lose, everyone comes away satisfied with their results.

-Nitro Dan
Take good and make it great. Take fast and make it faster. Performance drives success!
Utecharger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Utecharger »

Last year after the race I had the winning boys come forward and tell the audience what they did to their cars to make them so fast. Well the 1st and 3rd place kids had nothing to say (suprise, suprise) My boys told everyone how we polished the nails, cut the "quick start" into the front of the car, polished the inside of the wheels with a pipe cleaner and whitening toothpaste, baked the block etc..... Call my nasty but I knew that it would put those parents on the spot who built the cars completely by themselves and didn't have their kids help at all.

As for holding a workshop, I work an incredible amount of hours and am unable to hold one. I have though told every parent about where to find information on the web, even going as far as to write a list of the web sites. I have also told them what books to buy or check out at the library. I knew absolutely nothing about how to build a great car and have spent countless hours researching it over the past 3 years that my boys have been scouts. I dont think I should have to give away all my secrets because some parents dont care enough but are the first to pack up and leave before the race is even over. Last week I even approached the fathers of the boys who finished last and second to last and told them they could stop by my house any night and I would help them. I haven't seen either one.

Anyways I do think a workshop would be a fantastic idea and if I ever get the time to do one I certainly will.
sporty
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by sporty »

I have always felt, that if the kids can pay $5, for a entry fee. then they all should get a trophy !

Or at the very least.

soap box derby racing has what is called the elite 8,

The top 8 get a trophy in each class.

Why not for scouts !

Sporty
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

We give out 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place trophies sized proportionally and give everyone else a smaller participation trophy engraved with their name and the year. These are funded by the proceeds from the hot dogs and refreshments we sell during the derby.

We then have a huge (compared to the other trophies) trophy that I donated from my racing days and modified with a new engraved plate that say Commissioner's Award. We hype this big trophy through the whole pinewood derby season and tell the scouts that the leaders are watching and whoever shows the best sportsmanship through the whole process will win. The scout that wins gets to take the trophy home for 2 months (sort of like the Stanley Cup) and show all his friends and family. We then have a perpetual plaque that we engrave each year with the winner that hangs in the hall. It was a cheap solution that really helps get the point of good sportsmanship across.
Last edited by sprntrcr on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Utecharger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Utecharger »

sprntrcr wrote:We give out 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place trophies sized proportionally and give everyone else a smaller participation trophy engraved with their name and the year.

We then have a huge (compared to the other trophies) trophy that I donated from my racing days and modified with a new engraved plate that say Commissioner's Award. We hype this big trophy through the whole pinewood derby season and tell the scouts that the leaders are watching and whoever shows the best sportsmanship through the whole process will win. The scout that wins gets to take the trophy home for 2 months (sort of like the Stanley Cup) and show all his friends and family. We then have a perpetual plaque that we engrave each year with the winner that hangs in the hall. It was a cheap solution that really helps get the point of good sportsmanship across.
That is a fantastic idea!!!
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

sprntrcr wrote: We then have a huge (compared to the other trophies) trophy that I donated from my racing days and modified with a new engraved plate that say Commissioner's Award. We hype this big trophy through the whole pinewood derby season and tell the scouts that the leaders are watching and whoever shows the best sportsmanship through the whole process will win. The scout that wins gets to take the trophy home for 2 months (sort of like the Stanley Cup) and show all his friends and family. We then have a perpetual plaque that we engrave each year with the winner that hangs in the hall. It was a cheap solution that really helps get the point of good sportsmanship across.
I like that idea too but not sure that we could narrow it down to one boy very easily. Do you have difficulty in deciding the winner?
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

PWD_addict wrote:
I like that idea too but not sure that we could narrow it down to one boy very easily. Do you have difficulty in deciding the winner?

So far we haven't. We usually have a couple front runners going into derby day. Those who are really "in to" the derby a But even when we don't, someone seems to stand out if you keep an eye open.

Just make sure your leaders that are deciding pay attention and share what they are witnessing throughout the event. To the normal observer, this years winner may not have stood out. But to the leaders who were looking for those exhibiting the characteristics of sportsmanship, he rose to the top. Among other things, he consistently cheered and congratulated other scouts while others where off at the concession stand or busy not paying attention. The fact that he had in years previous been a top 5 finisher and finished 27th this year also made us feel that he was truly sincere with his attitude. So although for most of the crowd he was just "another" scout there, for us who were intent on observing good sportsmanship, he was king for the day.
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

We usually have a looks trophy given out , but you cant win it if you place in speed! Thats stupid and I told them so.

We need to give out trophies for looks, big ones just like for speed. In a bunch of categories. The object should be for the scouts to have FUN, and little kids have fun winning something. That doesnt take away from speed division, but gives them other things to shoot for if they come up short.

What I would like to see, is pinewood derby tools given out as prizes too. Probody tools, Prowheel mandrels would be cool.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

mbb wrote:What I would like to see, is pinewood derby tools given out as prizes too. Probody tools, Prowheel mandrels would be cool.
Cool idea for pack winners! Fair chance that district winners already have something that good, though!
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
sprntrcr

Post by sprntrcr »

sprntrcr wrote:We give out 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place trophies sized proportionally and give everyone else a smaller participation trophy engraved with their name and the year. These are funded by the proceeds from the hot dogs and refreshments we sell during the derby.

OK, finally got around to uploading pictures from derby awards

Here's the picture of the trophies. This year we added medals for crowd favorite and scout favorite (everyone gets a ballot at the derby to vote)

And this year Commissioner Award winner.
davem
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by davem »

If you are competing for a Sportsmanship award - is that really good sportsmanship?