Funny Happening at Inspection at Our Derby

General race coordinator discussions.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Funny Happening at Inspection at Our Derby

Post by PWD_addict »

One of the boys in our Den was checking in the car with his Dad yesterday. Fortunately, it was late in registration and there was no one else waiting. I didn't see any graphite on it so I asked. I know their goal each year is to make a car that doesn't finish last.
His Dad said they had put some graphite on so I asked if he wanted me to show them how to do a thorough job. He gratefully accepted my offer. So, I blew some into the bores in the front and rear on one side and then turned it over and did under the axle heads. I showed them how to spin it. As I spun the rear, water drops came out! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I asked how that happened and the Dad said they had washed off the graphite as it was a bright yellow car.

So, I suggested they remove the wheels and dry out the bores before we created a graphite paste in there. I had some pipe cleaners and the Axle Extraction Pliers (great tool). I then showed them how to insert the axles into the slots with the Pro-Axle Guide.

To their surprise, their car came in 4th out of our 14 Bears. The whole family was ecstatic! :clap: It even came in second in a couple of races.

I am very glad we took more time with inspection this year. I think we saved a lot of DNFs. We only had one this year (a single race) but we were able to fix it by moving a front wheel away from the body some and giving it a fresh helping of graphite. That boy is getting our "Loose Wheel" trophy--although we should have called it the "Tight Wheel" trophy this year.
RocketRod
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Funny Happening at Inspection at Our Derby

Post by RocketRod »

Great story!!! :)
Gameday
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Gameday »

yeah, cool story. We had a similar thing happen this year. To try and level the playing field I held many workshops this year. One boy, a Webelo I, always finished near the bottom. This year he was determined to do better. He and his pop showed up, worked on axles, wheels, and we cut out the car. They went home to finish the job.

I was busy when they checked in so I didn't see his finished product. But, I had setup a test track for the boys to use to verify their car was OK. I heard another boy laughing about Mark's car and how it barely had enough speed to cross the finish line.

I tracked him and his dad down and we went to work. They had pushed the wheels/axles in so far that they were rubbing, and it didn't look like they used any graphite. I showed them how to properly insert the wheels, lubed it up, and put it in the compound.

The next day the car was a screamer. Mark finished 5th overall and took home a trophy for 2nd in Webelos I. The first trophy he ever won. His older bro won the trophy for best design (he, too came to a workshop). The dad sent me an email the next day telling me how thrilled and proud they were.

This will be one of my best memories once my PWD days end.
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

Gameday wrote:yeah, cool story. We had a similar thing happen this year. To try and level the playing field I held many workshops this year. One boy, a Webelo I, always finished near the bottom. This year he was determined to do better. He and his pop showed up, worked on axles, wheels, and we cut out the car. They went home to finish the job.

I was busy when they checked in so I didn't see his finished product. But, I had setup a test track for the boys to use to verify their car was OK. I heard another boy laughing about Mark's car and how it barely had enough speed to cross the finish line.

I tracked him and his dad down and we went to work. They had pushed the wheels/axles in so far that they were rubbing, and it didn't look like they used any graphite. I showed them how to properly insert the wheels, lubed it up, and put it in the compound.

The next day the car was a screamer. Mark finished 5th overall and took home a trophy for 2nd in Webelos I. The first trophy he ever won. His older bro won the trophy for best design (he, too came to a workshop). The dad sent me an email the next day telling me how thrilled and proud they were.

This will be one of my best memories once my PWD days end.
That story warms my heart. It's amazing that the difference between 4th and 14th sometimes is only proper installation of axles and a bit of graphite.
millettbbc
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by millettbbc »

Water isn't a lubricant?!?!?!?!? Why didn't anyone tell me this sooner! :lol:
I was talking to our coordinator last week and he said one year he compiled a list of items which people said they had used over the years (he's coordinated for over 30 years). He said there were nearly 50 things he could remember; anything from baby powder to furniture polish.. but I think water is new one.

yes, very good you checked. Speed is worth the expense of graphite on the yellow paint.
PWD: The bug everyone catches and no one wants to let go.
bounce
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bounce »

We painted my daughters car bright pink and after we got it done we were running in the wheels and the graphite was getting on the car and it made it kind of sparkly, she was extatic! she thought that that was the best thing ever. After that she was all about the graphite!! Funny how some things work out.
ohiofitter
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by ohiofitter »

That is a great story......I know we all share info in our den.......I think it makes for a better race if the kids are on the same field....I know there our dads out there that wont share...........But PWD_addict you do not fall in that category
PWD_addict
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by PWD_addict »

The fun postscript to the story is that the Troop Scoutmaster (he chooses our non-speed awards) chose the car for the "Most Heart" trophy. We don't really give him guidelines for the awards (except for Best Paint clearly done by a Scout. We just tell him what the trophies say and let him pick.
mbb
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by mbb »

What? You didnt disqualify them for trying to enter a car with a liquid lubricant??

Theres some that would have!

I try to help out everyone I can. I even put together a powerpoint presentation this yr with the basics of how to build a competitive car and emailed it to everyone.
getSEVEN
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by getSEVEN »

We solved the graphite specks on car problem this year. While hurrying our black laquer, we sprayed some metal decorative side pipes with Rusoleum chrome. Over spray drifted into our black and we liked it! So we went around the car spraying our drop paper with silver just to make over spray.

Added benefit = it also hides the graphite flecks. And, David had fun doing it. A happy accident.