Nondestructive inspection for "dry lube only" rules

General race coordinator discussions.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Nondestructive inspection for "dry lube only" rules

Post by FatSebastian »

doct1010 wrote:Oil/fluid sniffing dogs? ;)
:thinking: Might there be litmus-type papers or similar low-cost chemical detection options?
doct1010 wrote:FS think this horse is dead.
Of course you have to kick it first to know for sure. :roll:
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:As I mentioned earlier you can stick some check strip into the bore, like tissue paper, and see if you can see visible liquid that has wicked into it. [...] The cons of such an inspection is that it might introduce particles or fibers into the bore, possibly affecting performance
Sounds to be the most reasonable recommendation so far. Has anyone routinely practiced this at their own race, or seen it practiced on their own car? Does anyone think the pro of catching cheaters before the race outweighs the con of possible contamination? Might the use of some types / brands of paper help minimize the risk of contamination?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:Does anyone think the pro of catching cheaters before the race outweighs the con of possible contamination?
IMO, no. A check-in inspection should not alter a car's performance, even if the intentions are good. I would also be concerned about it dramatically slowing down the check-in line.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

FatSebastian wrote: Has anyone routinely practiced this at their own race, or seen it practiced on their own car? Does anyone think the pro of catching cheaters before the race outweighs the con of possible contamination? Might the use of some types / brands of paper help minimize the risk of contamination?
We had been using oil (Nyoil then Krytox) for years. I enlightened our pack to the advantages, particularly cleanliness of track. Once applied properly I don't believe tissue paper would pick up a trace. Once it is spun in and excess blown off all thats left is a very thin film, not dry but not entirely wet either, as one imagines an oil to be. Remember the early application instructions for Nyoil? One drop, spin and completely wipe off any trace. If you see any evidence, there is too much! Reason we stopped using it, too finicky in app.

I don't condone cheating and I commend you on your quest. Contamination is always an issue when using oil, however I don't believe a clean litmus type strip would introduce anything foreign enough to foul bore. But you never know for certain, as mentioned above I doubt a trace would be found on paper.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

doct1010 wrote:I don't believe a clean litmus type strip would introduce anything foreign enough to foul bore. But you never know for certain, as mentioned above I doubt a trace would be found on paper.
Even if the check strip itself does not leave particle or fibers in the bore, could just inserting it into the bore push some in?

Just how difficult would it be to insert a strip into the bore when say there is just a credit card's thickness of space between the wheel and car body? I think it would be challenging to insert it into either end of the bore, as you won't have a straight shot.
Randy Lisano

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:could just inserting it into the bore push some in
Perhaps just touching a test strip against the exposed portions of the axle without actual bore penetration? :/
doct1010 wrote:I don't condone cheating and I commend you on your quest.
Thanks for the continuing input, Doc. Another issue beyond catching "cheaters" IMO is insulating volunteer inspectors from unfair criticisms that they didn't do enough (or, did too much). I think that inspection teams would be well served by having reasonable recommendations regarding inspection techniques when the "dry lube only" rule-in-the-box applies; I'm just not sure what those should be. :( (However, I think most would agree that tear-down inspections are probably not a practical means of detecting liquids.)
doct1010 wrote:Once it is spun in and excess blown off all thats left is a very thin film, not dry but not entirely wet either [...] But you never know for certain, as mentioned above I doubt a trace would be found on paper.
IMO if there is no detectable trace of liquid, that could make for a practical definition of "dry lubricant", at least from an inspector's point of view. Interest thereby turns from defining "liquid" and toward a practical definition of "detectable".
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:Perhaps just touching a test strip against the exposed portions of the axle without actual bore penetration? :/
You could always test out that procedure and see if you can detect a thin film lube that has been properly applied.
FatSebastian wrote:IMO if there is no detectable trace of liquid, that could make for a practical definition of "dry lubricant", at least from an inspector's point of view. Interest thereby turns from defining "liquid" and toward a practical definition of "detectable".
Detectable or not, I think people will still hold that a liquid lube is a liquid, regardless of how thin the film may be and would thus violate a dry lube only rule.
Randy Lisano

doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

gpraceman wrote:
doct1010 wrote:I don't believe a clean litmus type strip would introduce anything foreign enough to foul bore. But you never know for certain, as mentioned above I doubt a trace would be found on paper.
Even if the check strip itself does not leave particle or fibers in the bore, could just inserting it into the bore push some in?

Just how difficult would it be to insert a strip into the bore when say there is just a credit card's thickness of space between the wheel and car body? I think it would be challenging to insert it into either end of the bore, as you won't have a straight shot.
Any introduction of foreign material raises some question/risk of contamination. The strip itself not so sure.
Difficult indeed! And the line is gettin longer! Not to mention those runnin tight gap!
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

FatSebastian wrote: Interest thereby turns from defining "liquid" and toward a practical definition of "detectable".
Precisely, imo.
doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

gpraceman wrote: Detectable or not, I think people will still hold that a liquid lube is a liquid, regardless of how thin the film may be and would thus violate a dry lube only rule.
In principle I agree, if it goes on wet and does not dry completely its a wet lube. Detection only complicates scenario.

What ever happened to honesty, integrity and ethics?
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

doct1010 wrote:What ever happened to honesty, integrity and ethics?
Well, laws and rules don't really aim for those that will follow them, but to catch those that won't.
Randy Lisano

doct1010
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by doct1010 »

gpraceman wrote: Well, laws and rules don't really aim for those that will follow them, but to catch those that won't.
True. Locks were designed to keep honest people honest, thieves will always get in! Sad but true.

I just don't get it. It's a race for kids, intended to foster and strengthen a parental bond. Are we SO competitive we are willing to take a risk that may undermine trust and respect?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Back on topic... :)

I suspect that most Scouting units have rules that do not allow liquid lubes; I also doubt that most units conducts inspections that would cause insult to the cars being inspected. If so, inspectors are doing something in between absolutely nothing and taking cars apart. It may just be an eyeball inspection, it may be something substantially more. Hopefully someone will eventually chime in as to what their units do in this regard.

I am becoming more and more resigned to the fact that any carefully reliable detection scheme would necessarily have to take place after the race, not before. :sigh: With that said, based on the comments so far, it sounds like there may be some potential for some experimental investigation in the following area of test development:

1) Are there materials (preferably non-fibrous) that might absorb a detectable amount of liquid lube residue from the axle? (It might require a microscope to check and/or a litmus-type paper.)
2) If so, do these materials leave any contaminants behind on the axle, and if so, how much? (This would require a microscope to check.)

If there is satisfactory evidence that these tests could microscopically or chemically detect the presence of common wet lubes without contamination, then a procedure might be established where a test swab is made and imaged at magnification, and the image is compared to archived photos of magnified results based on various known lubes.

Other thoughts? :polling:
Last edited by FatSebastian on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

FatSebastian wrote:It may just be an eyeball inspection, it may be something substantially more.
Realistically, I think it more the former than the latter.
FatSebastian wrote:and/or a litmus-type paper
If trying to get a chemical reaction to cause litmus paper to change color, then will that work for all liquid lubes or just ones with a certain chemical makeup? I'm inclined to think that one litmus paper will not catch all possible liquid lubes. So, do you test with two or more litmus papers? In the meantime, the check-in line is growing.
Randy Lisano

FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

gpraceman wrote:So, do you test with two or more litmus papers?
Possibly (if chemical detection is even feasible). Some dry lubes like boric acid are probably not inert and then would almost certainly cause a chemical reaction that must be measured too.
gpraceman wrote:In the meantime, the check-in line is growing.
:nod: which is why I said...
FatSebastian wrote:I am becoming more and more resigned to the fact that any carefully reliable detection scheme would necessarily have to take place after the race, not before. :sigh:
If done after the race, I suppose the concern about contamination becomes less as well.