District and Council Derbies do not meet the purpose?

General race coordinator discussions.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: District and Council Derbies do not meet the purpose?

Post by Stan Pope »

idpwdnut wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:Remember, too, that the purpose of District or Council PWD isn't to discover the fastest car ... it is to provide an exciting event for as many of the district's members as possible.
I wonder if it would be better to say "the main purpose of District or Council PWD isn't to discover the fastest car ... it is to provide an exciting event for as many of the district's members as possible" From my experiences so far, I know the race teams (Cub/Parent or guardian) are very interested in who is the fastest. They love that trophy. It is only one of the purposes. However, as the event coordinator, it is my responsiblity to make sure that we have a fun, fair, and exciting event for the participants.
We're on the same page!

It is interesting that you remember the survey ... it was back in the days long before Derby Talk shortly after the introduction of "email lists". I've since wanted to do a more controlled, random study, but have not garnered any interest from "the local BSA establishment" to allow the necessary contacts.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
drathbun
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by drathbun »

idpwdnut wrote:
Stan Pope wrote:This selectivity routinely produced much higher participation at district than an open door "anyone who wants to race can race" policy.
My concern with a district race that is "anyone who want to race can race" is that many packs will just say "because there is a district race, we will not hold own race, just go to district". A "qualifying pack event" requirement for district would make sure each pack has its own race.
We ran a district race for the first time in years last year. One of the challenges we had that would be an issue with this rule is some packs held already scheduled their pack derby dates after the district derby race. In other words, they were having a race, but not in time to select their "winners" before the district race was going to run.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

drathbun wrote:
idpwdnut wrote: My concern with a district race that is "anyone who want to race can race" is that many packs will just say "because there is a district race, we will not hold own race, just go to district". A "qualifying pack event" requirement for district would make sure each pack has its own race.
We ran a district race for the first time in years last year. One of the challenges we had that would be an issue with this rule is some packs held already scheduled their pack derby dates after the district derby race. In other words, they were having a race, but not in time to select their "winners" before the district race was going to run.
Yes, that is a risk inherent in late additions to the district calendar. Ideally, the District/Council PWD is on the calendar which goes to the units prior to the time most will be planning their own calendars. IIRC, either our May or June Cub Leader Roundtable content focused on Pack planning for the Cub Scout year starting in the following September. That means that the District calendar was formulated and submitted for Council approval a few months prior.
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

Stan Pope wrote:
drathbun wrote: We ran a district race for the first time in years last year. One of the challenges we had that would be an issue with this rule is some packs held already scheduled their pack derby dates after the district derby race. In other words, they were having a race, but not in time to select their "winners" before the district race was going to run.
Yes, that is a risk inherent in late additions to the district calendar. Ideally, the District/Council PWD is on the calendar which goes to the units prior to the time most will be planning their own calendars. IIRC, either our May or June Cub Leader Roundtable content focused on Pack planning for the Cub Scout year starting in the following September. That means that the District calendar was formulated and submitted for Council approval a few months prior.
We have the same challenge this year. I have been working with the district since last April. Finally got go ahead in late December, some packs have races after we will be doing the district, so our district event is open this year to get people atleast aware of it. We will just keep taking baby steps ahead.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

Well we had our district PWD last Saturday. It was poorly attended but those that went had a very good time from the responses that I got that day and since.

The first two Saturdays of March were Little League tryouts, and last Saturday's weather was absolutely beautiful. So we may have lost participants due to that. Also, I have not been able to get a straight answer on just how long ago that our district actually did a PWD, so many peiple jsut don't think about it.

Talked to the DE yesterday and he asked how it went. Told him about the poor turnout and he seemed very dissapointed in it. I told him it is the first time that it has been done in a very long time and it is going to need to be built up. I told him that I would be happy to run with it if the Dictrict would let me. By the time we got done talking about it, he seemed pretty upbeat.

We'll just keep pushing upward and onward.