Why this Rule - Minimum Length

General race coordinator discussions.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Why this Rule - Minimum Length

Post by idpwdnut »

After moving and getting settled into a new area, I am getting involved in the PWD scene agian. I am running into some odd rules and thought I would get some input from fellow pineheads. I am going to post them in their own topics to keep them seperate. The first rules reads:

"Overall length may not exceed 7", nor be less then 6 inches."

Okay so I understand the maximum length and all that goes with it, potential energy, room at starting portion of track and all.

What has me confused :scratching: is why limit the minimum length of a car? When asked about it, the reason was to make sure it was "fair". I asked what about a car length of 5" is unfair compared to a car at 6" :idk: .

To me this seems to be a rule that more or less limits the creativity of a team in their design of a car.

Is there something that I am overlooking here? Is there any speed advantage for building a "short" car. I don't see it and have short cars that do not compete with my regular length cars. Let me know what you think?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Why this Rule - Minimum Length

Post by FatSebastian »

idpwdnut wrote:Is there any speed advantage for building a "short" car.
There is usually a speed disadvantage in building a short car.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Do you have a design competition? If so, the size constraints may have more impact there. (I have the mental picture of judges trying to get a car centered under the lens of a microscope.)

It does sound like a rule that could be tossed over the side with no problems.

But, rather than start all fresh with total rewrite, it might be useful to take an extended look at the old rules. Communication with Scouters, past and present, might uncover the cause for addition of those curious rules. But it will take time for that kind of inquiry, so it would not be helpful to this year's cause.

With the challenge you have undertaken, I'd be inclined to move slowly with changes to local tradition. Focus on the aspects that most affect the value and life of the event ...
Will the race method give quality results, appropriately rewarding the most deserving?
Will the race method provide enough participation, even to the least of the entries, to make the effort of participation feel worthwhile to the boys and to their parents? (Think about this scenario: 60 Cub Scouts and their families arrive to participate in a class of racing. They spend about an hour driving to and from. They spend about an hour going through inspection with the inspection of their own car taking, maybe, 3 minutes total to pass through the three inspection stations. They spend an hour watching the 60 cars run 60 timed heats, 4 cars at a time. During that racing they see their car run 4 heats ... about 4 minutes of the duration. Total time: 3:00. Waiting time: 2:53. Ratio of Active Time to Waiting Time: 1 to 25. Small wonder that those who question their own competitiveness stay home.)
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Darin McGrew »

The only reason that makes sense to me is if they're trying to make sure the car body extends in front of the front wheels (and behind the rear wheels, just in case the car is run down the track "backwards"). Some stop sections are pretty brutal, and you need wood in front of the wheels to protect the wheels.

But short cars don't have an unfair advantage, and I see no reason to prohibit kids from choosing designs that aren't 100% optimized for speed. Besides, what makes a 6.1" car fair, but a 5.9" car unfair? Especially when both are compared with 7" cars?
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

I'm with Stan on this one.... move a little slowly and offer to pitch in.
It's worked for me with my move two years ago. Three Packs now use the rules I helped draft, and the District has taken notice of the efforts.
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
idpwdnut
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by idpwdnut »

rpcarpe wrote:I'm with Stan on this one.... move a little slowly and offer to pitch in.
It's worked for me with my move two years ago. Three Packs now use the rules I helped draft, and the District has taken notice of the efforts.
I keep reminding myself, patience is a virtue, I need to exercise more of it.
With some cars that I have built, some events that I have helped, some advise that I have shared, people are starting to listen. We are often time creatures of habit and do not like change. You Wood Badgers remember the session on change?