Track Records: Cubs only?

General race coordinator discussions.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Track Records: Cubs only?

Post by birddog »

Folks-

We just purchased GPRM for our new track. I entered in the track records from last years race, where we only ran Cub Scout cars. Thus, all the records are currently held by Cubs.

We are adding an "open division" this year where parents and siblings will be able to run their cars AFTER the Cub racing is completed.

I'm trying to decide with this new track and new software how I should handle track records.

I know the software can keep track of the track record on a "per group" basis (and I will have Groups for Tigers, Wolves, Bears, Webelows, Open-Adult and Open-Youth), but I'm concerned about how I should handle the "top 10 times" and track record holder? Should I keep those just to Scouts only? If so, I'll need to remember to put the software into "test mode" when running the open division cars so that track records don't get updated, right? If I do that, then records for "Open-Adult and Open-Youth" would not get recorded, would they?

How do other Packs handle the track records? I think it would be "simpler" just to allow anybody who runs, Scout or Open, to be a track record holder. However, I also think that approach might take something away from the Scouts and I'm trying to strike the right balance between lettering others participate and ensuring the Scouts are the main focus.

thanks for any pointers or tips.

Birddog
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Track Records: Cubs only?

Post by gpraceman »

The only issue on track records would be if you wish to display the overall record holder. It is not something that is recorded separately, the software just checks each group to see which has the best record and displays that data. That could possibly end up being from the Open Division.

Neither track record nor top times are updated if you put the software in test mode.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.