Stands that a Cub Scout can build.

General race coordinator discussions.
red2cwm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stands that a Cub Scout can build.

Post by red2cwm »

On a lighter note, I started thinking about how a car stand for each Scout would be a good idea. I read this post and thought those were really cool. However, my requirements included each Scout building and decorating his own stand as well as the stand being able to hold a picture of the Den.

This is what I came up with:
The wood will be cut and pre-drilled by adults. The Scouts will assemble the stands like the last picture shows. That way they can paint the three blocks different colors if they want. The leader can take them home to dry. Either the leader can reassemble the stands or the Scouts can do it at the next meeting. The leader can then attach the frame and insert the picture before the race. The stands will be given back to the Scouts at the race when they pick up their cars at the end.

The frames are the cheap 7x5 acrylic frames from Walmart. After taxes and assuming the worst case scenario of no donations or discounted material, the stands come out to under $3.50 per stand. This is including the printing of the pictures but not the cost of paint and brushes.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Stands that a Cub Scout can build.

Post by whodathunkit »

red2cwm,

I like the looks of the photo frame idea for the car stands.

Just when I thought I had a good idea on what to do with some of my older cars,
for artwork around the workshop.. "I just had to go and cut them in half" to do this.

Mark.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
rkibby
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rkibby »

Here's what I did with my scouts. Very simple, this one doesn't show it but each boy had a plaque with his name on it that I had made from our local trophy maker.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Whoda, that just might be classified as Treason, but it does look really COOL !!!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. Great projects for the scouts.
Topspin.D
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Topspin.D »

This is a stand my son and I built using only handtools. This year we'll probably rework the stand to fit a third car in more of a vertical position. It will be on an angled post pointing downward.