Axles in Revell Kits

General race coordinator discussions.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Axles in Revell Kits

Post by pack529holycross »

I was wondering if anyone has spoken about the differences in the nails / axles between the Revell Kits and the BSA Kits?

I finally have gotten ahold of a Revell Kit, and notice the nails look very different: only minor crimping,and the tips are more indicative of a machined piece than a stamped one.

Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Axles in Revell Kits

Post by Speedster »

By Revell kit, do you mean kits with pre-cut cars or a kit with a block of wood in it? Is that nail available in the plastic tube with wheels from China? This is something new to me and I will be an inspector.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Speedster wrote:By Revell kit, do you mean kits with pre-cut cars or a kit with a block of wood in it? Is that nail available in the plastic tube with wheels from China? This is something new to me and I will be an inspector.
Speedster here you go 4 of the axels in this photo are out of the Revell plastic tube wheel sets.
That i picked up at hobbie lobby and 2 are BSA axels out of the kit box.

Useing a number size drill and tap gage card.
Revell .093 BSA. .089

The axels shown in the middle are BSA.

Hope this helps you guys out.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

That's more new information. I wasn't aware the Revell axles have a larger diameter. That could be a definite advantage. The nail Holycross is showing seems like a totally different nail from stock BSA and the ones made in China that come in the tube.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

I picked up 3 tubes of wheels and axles from Hobby Lobby, black, blue and red. The tube carries the number - 20092012. The tube I have that has nails that more closely resembles the U.S. made nail carries the number - 08022010. I suspect this represents a date. The pointed end of the nail looks like the one in the above picture. I could not see any casting marks under the head of the nail. There are minor marks on the shaft near the head of the nail but nothing like the nails made in the U.S. Each of the tubes contain 4 mold matched wheels. I also bought an "Axle Polishing Kit", $3.69, with a BSA sticker on it that includes 4 of the new nails. It has a piece of 600 grit sandpaper and a bag of Pumice. My new micrometer is on its way. I'll check the diameter of these 16 nails and see what I come up with. It appears these nails will make it easier on the average builder.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

For the nails I have, the shaft on the China axle measures .086 consistently until it reaches the top and then goes to.088 due to the little ridge. There are no marks under the head to remove. The U.S. nail measures .087 at the point end and then tends to jump around between .082 and .086 where the wheel rides. It would seem the China nail is far superior to the U.S. nail and would be a lot less work for those doing their own sanding and polishing.
rpcarpe
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by rpcarpe »

and both Revell and the BSA original qualify as 'Official BSA' axles, right?
Good to know. Will have to check when I go to Hobby Lobby for my 40% off Tungsten!
My wife started a new support group... Widows of the Pinewood Derby.
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Yes, they both qualify.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Speedster wrote:By Revell kit, do you mean kits with pre-cut cars or a kit with a block of wood in it? Is that nail available in the plastic tube with wheels from China? This is something new to me and I will be an inspector.

came out of this kit:

macd
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by macd »

rpcarpe wrote:and both Revell and the BSA original qualify as 'Official BSA' axles, right?
It depends on the rules from your Pack or District.
They would be illegal in our Pack and District races.
The Revell wheels and axels are "officially licensed". The scout shop versions are "official".
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

macd wrote:The Revell wheels and axles are "officially licensed". The scout shop versions are "official".
The image of the box Nicholas provides advertises "Officially Licensed by the Boy Scouts of America" and "Official Pinewood Derby Wheels INCLUDED!" So if there is a technical distinction between official and officially licensed, it is not recognized, at least, by BSA's licensee Revell.
pack529holycross
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

FatSebastian wrote:
macd wrote:The Revell wheels and axles are "officially licensed". The scout shop versions are "official".
The image of the box Nicholas provides advertises "Officially Licensed by the Boy Scouts of America" and "Official Pinewood Derby Wheels INCLUDED!" So if there is a technical distinction between official and officially licensed, it is not recognized, at least, by BSA's licensee Revell.

Interesting that the verbiage is specific to wheels and does not mention axles, and the axles do look different.. I doubt as a planner I could send someone away for using the nails out of that box.... I really just think someone in supply group needs to get a tighter handle on this kind of stuff
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Speedster »

Ir's true. A Pack or District can make any rule they choose. However, on the tube of wheels and axles I have it states on the official BSA sticker, "Officially Licensed Product - Boy Scouts of America". Also, directly under the sticker in the red area it states "Official wheels and axles".
I checked with our District Executive and they will be allowed in our District. I'm happy for that because it will make it a lot nicer for the scouts. If they are illegal in some Packs or Districts I hope people will ask why.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

FatSebastian wrote:
Ok I really don't want to get into it with you guys on how the lableing reads on the two different tube sets of wheels...
So I'll just post a photo of the tube sets ((To help you guys out.))
Some are from the Scout shop and some are the Revell wheels from Hobby Lobby.
The tube from the scout shop with the black or blue,red,yellow, or orange wheels reads
"Official Equipment Boy Scouts Of America" on the tube.
And the Hobby Lobby..made in China Revell Wheels read "Official wheels and axels also".
Last edited by whodathunkit on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

pack529holycross wrote:I really just think someone in supply group needs to get a tighter handle on this kind of stuff
Perhaps, but I suspect the attitude would be "they're just nails." It wasn't all that long ago that BSA supply sold the old-style and new-style wheels concurrently!