Trying something new this year for getting race volunteers

General race coordinator discussions.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Trying something new this year for getting race volunteers

Post by birddog »

As my Packs' pinewood derby chairman, I coordinate several volunteers to run a good race. Sometimes it can be challenging to get all the roles filled. We have a track setup team, car inspection team, a race starter, car managers, food coordinators, vote tally team, the list goes on. I have 18 roles I need filled.

This year, rather than beating the bushes at pack meetings, I'm trying something new.

SignUp Genius (http://www.signupgenius.com). We used it for popcorn show-n-sells this year and it worked well. I've just finished setting one up tonight and I'll post later to say how it went.

Setting it up was easy and it looks like it may be very helpful.

Birddog
Speedster
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Trying something new this year for getting race voluntee

Post by Speedster »

One of the Districts in our council, not mine, requires 2 people from every Pack to cover 2 spots all day. It does not have to be the same person all day and all the people must attend a prior meeting. They have 4 of the same meetings so everyone can pick a time to attend. They also invite parents to attend. The worker does not have to be a scout leader. I have no idea what happens if a Pack does not fulfill the requirement.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

We use Scouts from our brother Boy Scout Troop to fill the roles. That helps a lot.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

TXDerbyDad wrote:We use Scouts from our brother Boy Scout Troop to fill the roles. That helps a lot.
Our unit has done this as well, and it does help a lot. From our experience Scouts have only been able to fill some roles; many of the Scouts volunteering are still rather young.
birddog wrote:I've just finished setting one up tonight and I'll post later to say how it went.
Yes, please let us know how SignUp Genius worked for you.
rcmoeur
Pine Head
Pine Head

Post by rcmoeur »

At the Four Peaks District PWD earlier this year, Boy Scouts covered most of the important tasks, including MC, snack bar, and track duties. Adults handled inspection and a couple other items. The Scouts did great.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

We also used SignUp genius for popcorn this year, and it worked great.
TXDerbyDad
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by TXDerbyDad »

rcmoeur wrote:At the Four Peaks District PWD earlier this year, Boy Scouts covered most of the important tasks, including MC, snack bar, and track duties. Adults handled inspection and a couple other items. The Scouts did great.
That's pretty much how ours ran as well.