2008 Special Edition Kits

General race coordinator discussions.
BradyS71
Journeyman
Journeyman

2008 Special Edition Kits

Post by BradyS71 »

Hey all, life is finally calming down enough for me to start focusing back on scouting and PINEWOOD!

The pack leader and I found a number of 2008 special edition kits in our storage closet. Are these any good? I know wheels were changed at some point (and the wheels in the kit I took were horrible), but are there any usable/desirable pieces?

We were thinking about allowing the family of the scouts to purchase these and use them in the family/sibling races.

Brady
MaxV
Merchant
Merchant

Re: 2008 Special Edition Kits

Post by MaxV »

The wheels were improved in 2009, so if you use them, make sure that everyone uses the same thing. The 2008 wheels were heavier and not as accurate as the 2009 wheels.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

BradyS71 wrote:I found a number of 2008 special edition kits in our storage closet. [...] are there any usable/desirable pieces?
Are these 75th Anniversary Edition kits? There may be a reason why they were in the closet; as MaxV warns, I think these kits used the older wheels. Kits with newer wheels tend to have an embossed inventory code on the box that starts with an "IN" followed by four digits (some of which may be upside down). Older wheels tend to be found in kits embossed with a single letter, likely a "Z".

The blocks are probably no worse than newer blocks. The axles may be handy as spares.
BradyS71
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by BradyS71 »

Okay I have a Z kit, so we can just use them for siblings as those races tend to be the younger siblings, and we can pretty much give them away. I will take one for my daughter and just use the wheels from my sons kit as we will use last years wheels. No my car on the other hand... :thinking: :angel: