Inspection night

General race coordinator discussions.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Inspection night

Post by Noskills »

Hello all,

I have a few question and comment. This year we had 2 cars that used non BSA wheels and one used the single piece axel. I think these are the Revell products but not sure. The wheels were mag style and did not have BSA markings. The parents both seemed clues as they thought these were BSA approved. To my eye these wheels and axels were not designed to better or faster, they just were not BSA. As these cars did not look competitive I let them through. What do others think. ( oh rules clearly state wheels and axels from the kit)

Also we adopted the district rules which requires the standard wheel length. Had one extended wheelbase that the dad was able to fix on the stop with a great attitude.
I let shorter wheelbases go as this was for a design aspect and not meant for speed in 2 cars. Thoughts here?

Finally the low point was a set of groove wheels where we allow "light sanding" only. Dad did not read the new rules. He was calm but said " this is why we are leaving scouting". I was very nice but it killed me to dq this dad. We offered to switch out wheels and he refused. Very sad.

Overall not too bad though.

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
Darin McGrew
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Inspection night

Post by Darin McGrew »

Noskills wrote:This year we had 2 cars that used non BSA wheels and one used the single piece axel. I think these are the Revell products but not sure. The wheels were mag style and did not have BSA markings. The parents both seemed clues as they thought these were BSA approved. To my eye these wheels and axels were not designed to better or faster, they just were not BSA. As these cars did not look competitive I let them through. What do others think. ( oh rules clearly state wheels and axels from the kit)
We don't worry about whether the wheels are designed to be better or faster. If we see wheels that are not our wheels, then we hand them a new set (from our supply of spares) and send them to the pit table to switch the wheels and axles.
Noskills wrote:Also we adopted the district rules which requires the standard wheel length. Had one extended wheelbase that the dad was able to fix on the stop with a great attitude.
I let shorter wheelbases go as this was for a design aspect and not meant for speed in 2 cars. Thoughts here?
We don't enforce the stock wheelbase. But if you're going to use a stock wheelbase rule, then I think you should enforce it for everyone.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote:This year we had 2 cars that used non BSA wheels and one used the single piece axle. [...] The wheels were mag style and did not have BSA markings.
Pinecar? It incorporates the word "pine" like "Pinewood" and is often sold at hobby stores, sometimes right along side BSA stuff. I believe that one could get the two brands confused.

Image courtesy of MaxV.
Noskills wrote:He was calm but said "this is why we are leaving scouting".
I doubt this would be his only reason; if they leave Scouting it will probably be because the son is not interested.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by Noskills »

FS, yes they were Pinecar.
Thanks all for the advice. Perhaps next year I will choose a tougher person to be the inspector and I will take over in the pit crew where we will offer the new service of rapid wheel exchange :mrgreen:
Seth
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
gpraceman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by gpraceman »

I hate those little plastic axle end caps. They pop off and can be difficult to find on the floor.
Randy Lisano
Romans 5:8

Awana Grand Prix and Pinewood Derby racing - Where a child, an adult and a small block of wood combine for a lot of fun and memories.