Car Parts Trophys

General race coordinator discussions.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Car Parts Trophys

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Here are a few of my prototype derby awards trophys. I was able to secure donations from a local tranny shop and a rear end shop. Also got a couple of donations from a small engine repair shop. More photos to follow as I finish up this years trophys. These are raw and have a bit of surface rust from a light rain we got this week. SHMBO insists on paint. Personally, I'd like to hit them wit naval jelly and a clear coat. The idea is that the trophy will double as a display stand so the car can ride on top of the trophy.

BallBoy
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Re: Car Parts Trophys

Post by BallBoy »

I think those are great. I can't wait to see the final product.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

The car parts trophys always make for very neat looking awards with a personal touch.

Rfieldbuilds,

I'd like to trade some junk auto part awards photo Ideas with ya!
I did the same thing by asking for donations for junk auto parts from car dealerships & tire shops.
They were more then happy to help out with the donations to make awards with also.
And did the kids really like the awards as well.

Nice job with the trany parts.. The kids will enjoy them. ;)
Whoda.
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Hey guys. Thanks for the kudos!

Daddy had a bit of fun with this. My only concern is a tiger spraining a wrist trying to lift one of these! LOL. No really, a few of these are 20+ pounds. My plan is to add a little paint and maybe a dogtag with the particular award info for our Pack. My favorites so far have been the ones in which I can add a piston to the top. The pistons are from a small engine repair shop. So they are appropriately sized. Reminds me and my son of the "Piston Cup" from the cars movie. I've got 16 so far. 3 each for 1st, 2nd, 3rd in tiger, wolf, bear, and webelos. Plus 4 for our best in show. Plan was for 1st-3rd in best in show; however, we had a tie for 3rd in best of show, so I had to make two 3rd places trophies for the BIS. Also had a scout moved from scout division to Extreme due to an extended wheelbase. I will also be fabricating a special trophy for him. Out of parts to weld any more trophys at the moment, so once I get a few more parts, I can begin the final trophy. Then derust them all and move forward with painting them all... Good thing I work (4) tens so I've got an extra day to work on these. :bigups:
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Whodathunkit,
Those are awesome! I love the special thoughts put into the verbiage. I'm happy to trade photos. Mine are a bit bohemian "scrapture"based on my tooling and skills. I really like the plasma cut hands on the tools! This is my first go round as the commishioner, so I am having fun with this and already have thought for next years trophys. If I do this right, I won't be under the gun to get these done in a hurry and can call in a few favors to produce trophys as fine as yours. Good work!

I will post a few more photos as I have time. Two more weeks to finish before our Blue and Gold where the trophys are awarded. Wish me luck...
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Rfieldbuilds,

I like the looks of your trophys also..
And what kid wouldn't enjoy trying to pack one of them home even if they are 20+ pounds.
I think there very nice looking awards and any kid that gets one,
the parent will be most happy to get the work out and enjoyment of useing a two wheel dolley to take the trophy home.

I don't have use of a plasma cutter or own one right now ..
Someday I hope to get one as I do like useing them to cut metal with also.
A cutting torch is what I use most to do metal art work with,
if you look close at the socket rocket trophy you'll see some slag left in the hand.
As I was also pressed for time to get them built and painted.
DerbyAddicted
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by DerbyAddicted »

One thing I'm sure you've thought of, but with the weight of them and them being metal, I would consider covering the base with felt, or cork or something. I know some parents wouldn't be very happy if their son's dresser got scratched up from the trophy sliding around, etc. They look great btw, especially the hands. Very cool.
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by FatSebastian »

Neat topic, Rfieldbuilds! Thanks for sharing.
whodathunkit wrote:I don't have use of a plasma cutter or own one right now ... A cutting torch is what I use most to do metal art work with,
I was going to ask how the hands were cut out. In my (limited) experience, plasma cuts are hard to make neat. Those torch-cut hands show real weldmanship.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Well Sir,
You do have a steady hand. I, like FS, have limited experience with plasma. However, some plasma operators can make cuts rivaling a laser cut. To pull this off with a torch also shows you are really good at balancing your oxy/acetylene mix. Torch cutting, if done correctly can yield great results too. I have experience as a welding inspector and have had the privilege of working with some very talented erectors/fabricators. Some guys have it, get it, and strive to do there best. To those that are that talented, I tip my hat. For others it is just a job.
Whodathunkit, Looks like you may have a market here on DT to sell some hands, trophy kits or even trophy's. I showed a coworker of mine who is a gear-head, a few pics, he thought the trophys were pretty cool and told me "I want one!". LOL, they will make great doorstops. :sigh:
As to the heaviness and scratching dressers or bookshelves, I will put some nice rubber bumpers on the bottom from my cabinet making supplies. This should keep the moms happy.
Mostly, I am pleased to be able to have a bit of artistic license, and pass these trophy's along to the boys. I hope they like 'em. They are car related, and hopefully will inspire some of the kids to learn how things work. So maybe we get a few engineers, designers and fabricators from the exposure to all the gears, bearings, and drive train. You know, the car parts in each trophys represent a $1-$2K rebuild on a transmission or read end- OUCH!

Any suggestions on paint for 1st, 2nd, third? I'm pretty much limited to a rattle can. The only hesitation I have with paint is that most of the bearings are movable. So, as the kids play with these, some of the bearings may spin and allow unpainted portions of the rollers to show through.

Last night, I took apart a few 2 cycle, single cylinder, small engines and cut a quarter section out of the block allowing the piston, rings and crankshaft to show through. Once I get enough light to shoot in, I'll try to get a few pics together.
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by whodathunkit »

Thanks Rfieldbuilds & FS,

Not to go :offtopic: but to share some tips.

You really have to play around with the torch and try different tip sizes and desired presssure
adjustments on the regulators for the oxy-fuel flow.

The oxy & acetylene pressures and size of tip depend upon the thickness of metal to be cut.
Also knowing how to adjust the cutting torch to a neutral flame when lighting the torch also helps.
This is where some go wrong when lighting the torch by not knowing how to set it to a neutral flame.

The procedure for turning on and adjusting the cutting torch to a neutral flame.

check all cylinder, regulator,and torch valves to make sure they are off.
Open acetylene cylinder valve 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn (never more the 1 1/2 turns)
(Think of Back Flash in this cylinder and why it's never to be open all the way) :eek:

Next open acetylene valve on torch one turn.
Turn adjusting screw on actylene regulator clockwise until desired pressure is reached.
Close acetylene valve on torch.
Open oxygen cylinder valve all the way.
Open the oxygen torch valve all the way.
Open oxygen preheat valve on cutting attachment one turn.
Turn adjusting screw on oxygen regulator clockwise until desired pressure is reached.
Close oxygen preheat valve on cutting attachment.
Open the acetylene valve on torch 1/4 turn.
Light the torch with a flint lighter and adjust acetylene valve on torch,
untell black smoke on flame clears.
Open oxygen preheat valve slowly and adjust to a neutral flame.
(Tip:) Look at the bright blue part of flame comeing out of the cutting tip.
Press and depress on the oxygen cutting lever and check to see that a neutral flame is present.
And that the bright blue part of the flame is not jumping or moveing around..
when the oxygen cutting lever is pressed and depressed also.
From there it's about holding the torch tip at the right angle and distance away from the metal..
and the travel speed for makeing clean cuts.

Clean cutting tips and cleaned up metal will also help for giveing you better and clean looking cuts..
then a dirty cutting tip along with rusty metal.
A lot of the poping & cracking sounds you'll hear from using the torch..
are because of a dirty or clouged up cutting tip, or from rusty metal while cutting.

Sorry for such a long tip.. on adjusting a cutting torch to a neutral flame.
Guess it's the welder in me.

Rfieldbuilds, ( your a welding inspector really!)
How I do with the tip.. for adjusting a torch to a neutral flame?
I'm a little rusty and it's been awhile sence i'v had to share this tip. :whew:

I like useing a light weight victor jr cutting torch for oxy-fuel cutting.
The cutting tip size I use most for metal art work is a #3 (1-3-101)
The oxy-setting I run with is around 32 to 34 psi with the acetylene around 5 to 6 psi.
And I also use a Forney flap disc on a 4 1/2 in grinder..
to clean up a little bit of slag with from time to time as well.

Anyway.. I see your useing a S.M.A.W. (Shielded Metal Arc Welding) Stick welder!
Let me see if I can guess the type of welding rod you used.. 6011 or 6013?

Once more cool trophys.. and share the photos of the trophys when there finshed will ya!
Whoda.