Proxy racing at Districts?

General race coordinator discussions.
Noskills
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Proxy racing at Districts?

Post by Noskills »

Hello all,

My district is running a pretty poor race thus far. I had to bug people via e-mail to see if there was even going to be a race. In mid March they finally said yes, but had not rules, time or date. My late March they said it was postponed. By a week ago I assumed it was going to die on the vine and began to help my son modify his car for the mid-America. Well now its up again for mid May and we are out of town. Apart from my general frustration, what are your district rules on allowing one scout to register a fellow scout's car who cannot attend in person? What about dropping the car off with the district staff?

Thanks,

Noskills
"Nunchuk skills... bowhunting skills... pinewood derby skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!"
Napoleon Dynamite
FatSebastian
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: Proxy racing at Districts?

Post by FatSebastian »

Noskills wrote:what are your district rules on allowing one scout to register a fellow scout's car who cannot attend in person?
Back when we lived in a district that had a district race, I believe the Scout had to be present. That made sense to us for a variety of reasons.
Stan Pope
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Stan Pope »

Wotamalo Rules historically allowed a scout to race a car built by another scout. I don't know if it ever happened, because it is the scout who races the car who is competing and assumed to be the owner of the car. An "absentee driver" does not make sense for us, since the owner/driver performs all aspects of car handling during the races, including queue wait time (mostly very short queues.)

Not sure this is comparable, but how fast does an Indy car run if its driver is elsewhere?
Stan
"If it's not for the boys, it's for the birds!"
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

We allow racing by proxy at our district race. We make sure that a Pack rep is responsible for the car (for checkin, repairs during racing, trophy delivery, etc).

Not many take advantage of it, but nice to have it in place if the date happens to overlap with a wedding in the family or some such other major family commitment.

I ran our district derby this year and the date of the race was published 4 or 5 months in advance of the race (as were the rules).

birddog