What is your favorite PWD Planninh/Coordinator Guide

General race coordinator discussions.
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

What is your favorite PWD Planninh/Coordinator Guide

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

What is your favorite PWD Planning/Coordinator Guide? I'm coordinating for both Pack and District races this year. It's time to get my ducks in a row and would like some input as to the best planning guides available. Anyone have favorite(s)?
I've poked around and cant readily locate one on DT tonight... And, my laptop from prior years has taken a long slow nap.

Specifically, I am looking for setup guides for our Pack Races in 3 weeks. And then have 4 months to plan and fine tune the Districts event.

All help is appreciated my Pinehead friends :idea: :idea: :idea:

I am hoping to create a Pack planning binder that can be handed down from PWD Chair to Chair so this is in black and white for my future Chairpersons.
Thanks All!
whodathunkit
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Re: What is your favorite PWD Planninh/Coordinator Guide

Post by whodathunkit »

I don't really have any favorite planning guides for myself.
As most of the time it's just what ever the pack or committee wants for there program.

However there are planning guides on the net.
Some will have some good ideas to work from to get you started or give you ideas to work off of.

http://www.classb.com/resources/derby/i ... MgodgXcAiQ
http://www.grandcanyonbsa.org/openroste ... ?id=122228
http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/ ... ewood.aspx

Hope some of these links will help you out!
What type of automobile can be spelled the same forwards & backwards?
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Thanks Whodathunkit. I found the first link particularly useful. Especially on the fundraising/sponsorship! It was a previously undiscovered (by me) link. I know there are others out there with much more planning and am sure a better set of checklist/planning documents exist. I hope others chime in as my web searches haven't yielded much fruit-this is of course due to a lack of time I've had in previous years. But hey, so is the life of a volunteer.
Race On!
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

Skimmed those links. Kills me that the first one mentions the importance of having judges (for artistic awards) who are not affiliated with your Pack. I pushed for this early on, and the Cubmaster and Assistant Cubmaster both felt that this was unnecessary, and that we should just employ Den Leaders as Judges. I didn't wanna get ugly, so I just voiced my dissent, but told them I'd honor their opinion. But I also refuse to serve as a judge. Meh. :idk:
whodathunkit wrote:I don't really have any favorite planning guides for myself.
As most of the time it's just what ever the pack or committee wants for there program.

However there are planning guides on the net.
Some will have some good ideas to work from to get you started or give you ideas to work off of.

http://www.classb.com/resources/derby/i ... MgodgXcAiQ
http://www.grandcanyonbsa.org/openroste ... ?id=122228
http://www.scouting.org/Training/Adult/ ... ewood.aspx

Hope some of these links will help you out!
Rfieldbuilds
Journeyman
Journeyman

Post by Rfieldbuilds »

Vit K,
Our pack lets the boys decide. Simple process-We put out small Dixie cups on race day and give each boy two dried pinto beams to put into the cup that is next to the car(s) they like. Which ever cup has the most votes(beans) wins.

I like this because it keeps the kids busy for a moment or two and lets the kids decide. Its about the kids, right? This way what ever the kids like is reflected in their choices rather than letting the adults tastes decide. This has worked quite well for us.
Vitamin K
Pine Head Legend
Pine Head Legend

Post by Vitamin K »

We actually have a 'People's Choice' trophy that is decided on by the racers...only nobody liked the idea of having the boys vote on race day, so we're doing it online...which means...I really need to get that viewing/voting site up... guh. :paperbag:
Rfieldbuilds wrote:Vit K,
Our pack lets the boys decide. Simple process-We put out small Dixie cups on race day and give each boy two dried pinto beams to put into the cup that is next to the car(s) they like. Which ever cup has the most votes(beans) wins.

I like this because it keeps the kids busy for a moment or two and lets the kids decide. Its about the kids, right? This way what ever the kids like is reflected in their choices rather than letting the adults tastes decide. This has worked quite well for us.
birddog
Master Pine Head
Master Pine Head

Post by birddog »

We advertise our race as starting at 11, but don't actually start the opening flag ceremony until about 11:15am. That gives all the kids time to look at all the cars and cast their votes before the event really gets going. We close voting at 11:30 and announce the appearance award winners after lunch at 12:30 or so.

Most kids want to look at all the other cars before racing starts anyway. We have them all displayed on a table so they can easily vote by car number.

Works well for us and the kids are the ones who get to decide.

birddog